Looking for a pure Python chart drawing module

Chris Withers

Grant said:
That doesn't mean you can depend on it being available. It
doesn't get installed by default on some Linux distros.

That's 'cos some linux distros feel the need to destroy python's
packaging for their own silly reasons...

Take them out and shoot them.

Chris

Piet van Oostrum

CW> Matplotlib is a pretty phenomenal charting library, I use it routinely on
CW> both windows and linux, I've never had any compilation problems on Linux
CW> and never even needed to compile it on Windows.
CW> Writing if off as "just a wrapper for antigrain" is pretty insulting...

*You* made up the "just" in that quote. The point was that the OP wants
something that only needs Python.

Aaron Watters

I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
in Python.  I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
and version clashes are a problem.

http://skimpygimpy.sourceforge.net includes charts and canvases
that generate PNG using pure Python. Honestly, they aren't
very pretty though :(.

Also, if you are looking for web display also take a look
at WHIFF Flash charts (using either open flash charts or amcharts)
-- these are very pretty.

http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1100_1600.openFlashCharts

-- Aaron Watters

===
Tee front:
80 minutes / 16 positions / no protection
back:
Rutgers Rugby

Giacomo Boffi

Piet van Oostrum said:
*You* made up the "just" in that quote. The point was that the OP
wants something that only needs Python.

matplotlib can be used to generate .ps, .pdf and .svg files (all
vectorial formats) without resorting to Antigrain

Antigrain is used only in rasterizing, due to its better capabilities
in the field of antialiasing, when you use matplotlib with an
interactive backend; of course, if you're truly dispising Antigrain
and are happy with a coarser display you can select interactive
backends that DO NOT use Antigrain

that's for the Antigrain wrapper

otoh, if the OP intended a plotting library that does not use binary
modules at all (then his reference to Antigrain was mostly fogging),
then matplotlib is not for him

% find matplotlib-0.99.0/| grep -v agg24 | grep '\.cpp$' | wc -l
23
% find matplotlib-0.99.0/| grep -v agg24 | grep '\.c$' | wc -l
5
%