    graphs.

    Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

    John

    John McCabe, Oct 24, 2005

  2. John McCabe

    mlimber Guest

    I have a slightly dated book called _Data Structures, Algorithms, and
    Object-oriented Programming_ by Heileman that covers those topics in
    C++. There may be a new edition for all I know.

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Oct 24, 2005

  3. John

    Most STL Map implementations are done using Red-Black trees.
    Unfortunately, the C++ code is for a template version, which
    only adds to the difficulty in understanding the code. But as
    the STL code is robust, this should be a good start. Perhaps
    stepping into some code that uses STL Map will help to highlight
    the relevant sections of code. Hope this helps.

    STL = Standard Template Library

    JFJB

    n2xssvv g02gfr12930, Oct 24, 2005
  4. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    thanks for that suggestion. I can't find much detail on that book, but
    I've emailed the author to see if he can let me know more about it.
    Things like the link to ToC on his web page don't work, and Amazon
    hasn't got much info.

    It sounds interesting, but obviously I'd still appreciate any other
    suggestions.

    John McCabe, Oct 24, 2005
  5. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    Thanks for that suggestion. I guess I'm more interested in the theory
    behind them all at the moment, and I'm particularly interested in
    applicability for particular problems. I read an article on
    performance of BSTs recently which was very good and useful
    information, but didn't address any of the other techniques in enough
    detail.

    Thanks again though.

    John McCabe, Oct 24, 2005
  6. John McCabe

    red floyd Guest

    Good for you. The stock answer around here is "use
    std::whatever_container<>". G-d knows, I've said that enough myself.
    But rolling your own is a wonderful way to understand the theory behind
    those std::containers, as well as understanding the pitfalls, and
    exactly *why* you want to use the std:: versions (so you don't have to
    debug them :)).

    I applaud you for wanting to learn the theory, as well as the
    implementation. With that kind of attitude, you'll go far...

    red floyd, Oct 25, 2005
  7. This link gives an animated demonstration as well as some theory.

    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/1854/Rbt.html

    I've actually got the "Introduction to Algorithms" book referenced
    and I'd recommend it if you're interested in the often unseen
    algorithms used to solve a variety of problems.
    It's heart warming to know that I'm not the only one interested in
    understanding what's really going on and why, and it was from
    looking at the STL code that I became interested in Red Black
    trees. More to the point I decided to develop my own C++ code
    to implement a Red Black tree, both for hard coded data and as
    a template version. I found it satisfying, but it hasn't helped
    career wise yet as far as I can tell.

    JFJB

    n2xssvv g02gfr12930, Oct 25, 2005
  8. You could also try this link to see the steps involved for adding
    and deleting nodes from a Red Black tree.

    http://www.ece.uc.edu/~franco/C321/html/RedBlack/redblack.html

    JFJB

    n2xssvv g02gfr12930, Oct 25, 2005
  9. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    Thanks for that information, and the information on the book.

    I've checked it out on Amazon and it looks very interesting, however
    it doesn't list AVL trees in the table of contents.

    I think I may be looking for something I can't afford :) Probably
    Knuth's multi-volume epic!

    I read the article "Performance Analysis of BSTs in System Software"
    and based on that it looks like, for our application, an AVL tree
    would be best, closely followed by a Splay tree so whatever book I go
    for needs to at least cover those. Red Black trees would also be a
    bonus really. Also the hash table stuff needs to be there as well, and
    I spotted something about (I think) directed graphs that I'd like to
    read more on.

    But thanks again for taking the time to provide me with those links
    and info.

    Does anyone know anything about this book:

    Algorithms in C++: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching
    Pts. 1-4 by Robert Sedgewick

    John McCabe, Oct 25, 2005
  10. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    Actually, that might be skip lists I was talking about!

    Does anyone have experience of:

    Data Structures and Algorithms in C++

    by either...

    Goodrich, Tamassia and Mount (http://cpp.datastructures.net/)

    or

    Drozdek

    John McCabe, Oct 25, 2005
  11. John McCabe

    red floyd Guest

    Not C++ specific, but Aho,Hopcroft,Ullman "The Design and Analysis of
    Computer Algorithms" has a section on AVL trees.

    red floyd, Oct 25, 2005
  12. John McCabe

    Mark P Guest

    CLR, aka "Introduction to Algorithms" by Cormen, Leiserson, and Rivest,
    is a very good book on algorithms and data structures. They opt for
    pseudocode rather than C++ so you won't find any drop in components, but
    they're very thorough and rigorous.

    Mark P, Oct 26, 2005
  13. John McCabe

    Manfred Guest

    I know of 'Algorithms in C++' by Robert Sedgewick.
    There is a hardcover edition and a Paperback
    edition which includes:
    "Parts 1-5: Fundamentals, Data Structures,
    Sorting, Searching, and Graph Algorithms"
    You'll find it on amazon if you search for the title.

    Manfred

    Manfred, Oct 26, 2005
  14. John McCabe

    mlimber Guest

    The book I previously mentioned (_Data Structures, Algorithms, and
    Object-oriented Programming_ by Heileman) has chapters on lists, stacks
    & queues, binary search trees, hashing, priority queues, balanced
    search trees (namely, AVL, red-black, and splay trees), heaps, etc.
    Not I.

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Oct 26, 2005
  15. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    I found that one on Amazon. Do you have an opinion on it? From what
    I've seen there appears to be significant differences in the Amazon
    reviews which worry me a bit, especially as the book is going on
    £60.00 on amazon.co.uk.

    John McCabe, Oct 26, 2005
  16. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    Thanks for that. I've emailed Greg Heileman to ask if he can give me
    more details on the table of contents as I can't find much on the net.
    He has replied to my initial message, but not my follow-up, and not
    with the details I need (yet) :-(

    From what you've said, and what I *have* found on the net about it, it
    sounds like it could be as close a match as it may be possible to get
    to what I'm looking for.

    John McCabe, Oct 26, 2005
  17. John McCabe

    Manfred Guest

    A friend of mine told me about it and he was very
    fond of it. But I just had a short look at it in a
    bookstore and it seemed to be comprehensable with
    good C++ code.
    But you could perhaps have a look for it in your
    local book store.

    Manfred

    Manfred, Oct 26, 2005
  18. John McCabe

    John McCabe Guest

    Thanks for that suggestion, but it's easier said than done. We have
    two bookstores in the town I live in, both of which have around 10-15
    books on computing in them! Even the bigger nearby towns don't have
    bookstores that have anything except the most popular books, i.e. Java
    and Web development stuff, with a bit of ASP.NET thrown in.

    I guess some of the local university townsmight have something, so the
    next time I'm near one of those I'll look.

    Thanks again.

    John McCabe, Oct 27, 2005
  19. I'd disagree about the good C++ code. In fact as C++ code goes it's
    poor. But clearly that isn't the point of the book and the main thing is
    that Sedgewick does explain the algorithms very well. It is a beginning
    book and it isn't particularly formal, for most people those are advantages.

    john

    John Harrison, Oct 27, 2005
  20. John McCabe

    Manfred Guest

    Thanks for clearing this up John. As I said
    before, i didn't have time to have a closer look
    at the book.

    Manfred

    Manfred, Oct 27, 2005