    dfetermine if a screen is 800X600, XGA, SXGA+, UXGA, etc. I can compile C++
    under visual studio 6.

    Thanks

    richk, May 3, 2007

  2. First of, there is no way of doing that in C++, you'll need some
    platform-dependent solution. Second, for C++ you really should
    upgrade, either to a newer version of VS or get the VC2005 Express,
    VC6 is way too old and non-conformant.

    To give you a solution, get a Linux live CD with X and see what
    resolution it comes up with.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, May 4, 2007

  3. richk

    Jim Langston Guest

    If you just want to know what the video display is you don't need anything
    other than debug which will fit on a bootable floppy. It has come with all
    MS-DOS since 2.0 or so.

    debug
    to run it at a command prompt
    then
    dc000:0

    This will display the memory starting at memory address 0xC000 (or 0x0C00 or
    0xC0000 I can never remember which). Anyway, this is where the video
    driver/buffer starts.

    The first page (8 lines) yous should see some garbage to the right but
    somewhere it'll say IBM VGA Compatible. Then press
    and press enter to see the second page. For mine I see the text in there:
    GeForce 7600 GS VGA BIOSV0719
    And, hey, I'm using a GeForce 7600 GS

    I guess you can write something in C or C++ to query the display to ask it
    to enumerate it's display modes if you wanted, but if you have the
    information there just look it up on the web.

    Myself, I would just google the laptop model and read the specs.

    Jim Langston, May 5, 2007
  4. richk

    Ian Collins Guest

    Many vendors offer a range of display options and or GPU for the same
    model number.

    Ian Collins, May 5, 2007