looking for free forum/bb in asp to grab

digger440uk

I've got a need for a bb/forum to implement on my site. I would like it
to be reasonably modern looking - with search facilities, avatars, sigs
etc but i already have users registering in another part of my site. I
would like to use a forum where i can modify the code easily so i can
register them in the forum's user db as well without much hassle. Can
anyone recommend one? I'd rather stay clear of php, would like to use
mysql and would be happy with either straight asp or asp.net.

cheers.
Andy

Bob Barrows [MVP]

digger440uk said:
I've got a need for a bb/forum to implement on my site. I would like
it to be reasonably modern looking - with search facilities, avatars,
sigs etc but i already have users registering in another part of my
site. I would like to use a forum where i can modify the code easily
so i can register them in the forum's user db as well without much
hassle. Can anyone recommend one? I'd rather stay clear of php, would
like to use mysql and would be happy with either straight asp or
asp.net.
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+asp+forum&hl=en&sourceid=gd&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-37,GGLD:en

digger440uk

I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
some personal experiences.

Evertjan.

digger440uk wrote on 16 dec 2006 in
I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
some personal experiences.

What are you talking about?

If you respond on something on usenet, you should quote sufficient part of
the original.

Usenet is not email.

digger440uk

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Sorry. My reply was;
I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
some personal experiences.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

digger440uk said:
Sorry. My reply was;
I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
some personal experiences.

Then you should have said so. We're not mind readers and we had no way
of knowing that you knew how to do a google search or that you had
already looked at some software.

Unfortunately, I have never used forum software so I cannot make any
recommendations. However, I believe the topic has come up in this
newsgroup in the past. Have you tried a google search of this group?

digger440uk

Bob said:
Then you should have said so. We're not mind readers and we had no way
of knowing that you knew how to do a google search or that you had
already looked at some software.

Unfortunately, I have never used forum software so I cannot make any
recommendations. However, I believe the topic has come up in this
newsgroup in the past. Have you tried a google search of this group?

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

You had no way of knowing that i knew how to do a google search? I'm on
a usenet forum, i'm talking about asp with databases, i mention a
couple of languages and databases etc. None of these things lit a
lightbulb that said, lets presume he knows how to google? good grief. I
always do a big search on usenet and the web before i make any initial
posting and hope others do the same. I requested a recommendation, not
a google response. I know you're not a mindreader but i did specify
what i was after.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

digger440uk said:
You had no way of knowing that i knew how to do a google search? I'm
on a usenet forum, i'm talking about asp with databases, i mention a
couple of languages and databases etc. None of these things lit a
lightbulb that said, lets presume he knows how to google?

Why should it? Obviously you have not read many posts made by other
users. You would probably be shocked at how many posters don't know how
to do a google search. And even more shocked at the number who do know
how but post questions without doing research first.

digger440uk

Bob said:
Why should it? Obviously you have not read many posts made by other
users. You would probably be shocked at how many posters don't know how
to do a google search. And even more shocked at the number who do know
how but post questions without doing research first.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

I wouldn't be shocked because i think you're talking nonsense. If you
want to talk about forum recommendations please continue on this
thread, if not go elsewhere.

Evertjan.

digger440uk wrote on 18 dec 2006 in
I wouldn't be shocked because i think you're talking nonsense. If you
want to talk about forum recommendations please continue on this
thread, if not go elsewhere.

Dear Anonymous,

Bob is the most knowledgable about ASP database matters in this NG and has
been so for a long time. He answers Q large and small, even ones I would
not bother to do, were I in his place.

If you did not know that, your Google groups reseach on this issue is sure
to be totally absent, so an admonishment to do research first is in place.

Asking him to go elsewhere is sad and laughable.

digger440uk

Evertjan. said:
digger440uk wrote on 18 dec 2006 in

Dear Anonymous,

Bob is the most knowledgable about ASP database matters in this NG and has
been so for a long time. He answers Q large and small, even ones I would
not bother to do, were I in his place.

If you did not know that, your Google groups reseach on this issue is sure
to be totally absent, so an admonishment to do research first is in place.

Asking him to go elsewhere is sad and laughable.

Evertjan, I've already seen that Bob's a proflific poster and helps out
many people. I've done the same in other forums & groups so i haven't
posted with ignorance. My apologies with getting shirty about going
'elsewhere' but i wanted to keep to the purpose of the thread and a
little famespit wasn't in anyone's interest. all i requested was a
recommendation. As i've said i had already looked at the top results on
google, snitz etc. I had also searched this and other groups - three
results on 'forum recommendation' from this NG so i felt it was
reasonable to post a request. My apologies to anyone who felt this was
unreasonable behaviour.

Mike Brind

digger440uk said:
I've got a need for a bb/forum to implement on my site. I would like it
to be reasonably modern looking - with search facilities, avatars, sigs
etc but i already have users registering in another part of my site. I
would like to use a forum where i can modify the code easily so i can
register them in the forum's user db as well without much hassle. Can
anyone recommend one? I'd rather stay clear of php, would like to use
mysql and would be happy with either straight asp or asp.net.

I've seen similar requests to yours over time, and it's unlikely that you
will get a different response from the ones given previously, which is no
recommendation. The reason for the lack of response is I suspect down to
the fact that the regular posters here are unlikely to be involved in
building the kind of site that would incorporate a forum/message board. If
they were, I suspect they are more likely to build one from scratch, to a
brief and to a standard. I know I would.

However, what I might also do is to peruse the codebase offered by the
"free" boards for any useful and well written modular stuff I could make use
of.

HTH

mrbrown_1999

Mike said:
If
they were, I suspect they are more likely to build one from scratch, to a
brief and to a standard. I know I would.
Mike Brind

Mike - What do you mean "to a brief"? Just curious...

Digger - I use Snitz and I have installed 10+ mods in addition to
making my own tweaks. I have the forum fully integrated into my
existing site and I use the user/pwd login for features other than the
message board. I couldn't be happier with it.

-Matt

Mike Brind

Mike - What do you mean "to a brief"? Just curious...

A written document detailing the agreed scope of the project, which will
include the purpose of the project, functionality, deliverables, project
constraints (budget, delivery deadlines) etc...

digger440uk

Mike - What do you mean "to a brief"? Just curious...

Digger - I use Snitz and I have installed 10+ mods in addition to
making my own tweaks. I have the forum fully integrated into my
existing site and I use the user/pwd login for features other than the
message board. I couldn't be happier with it.

-Matt

Matt,
I've ended up using Snitz too. It's got heavy use of html tables and
has almost no rem lines in the code but i agree - you can get results
with it. Now i've started to tweak it i can see Mike's point of
building them from scratch - i guess it's a weigh up from how far
removed the original code is away from where you want to end up.