    mysql and would be happy with either straight asp or asp.net.

    cheers.
    Andy

    digger440uk, Dec 15, 2006

  2. http://www.google.com/search?q=free+asp+forum&hl=en&sourceid=gd&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-37,GGLD:en

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 15, 2006

  3. digger440uk

    digger440uk Guest

    I was after recommendations from use not a google response. i've
    already been looking at snitz, web wiz forums etc but wanted to hear
    some personal experiences.

    digger440uk, Dec 16, 2006
  4. digger440uk

    Evertjan. Guest

    digger440uk wrote on 16 dec 2006 in
    What are you talking about?

    If you respond on something on usenet, you should quote sufficient part of
    the original.

    Usenet is not email.

    Evertjan., Dec 16, 2006
  5. digger440uk

    digger440uk Guest

    Sorry. My reply was;

    digger440uk, Dec 16, 2006
  6. Then you should have said so. We're not mind readers and we had no way
    of knowing that you knew how to do a google search or that you had
    already looked at some software.

    Unfortunately, I have never used forum software so I cannot make any
    recommendations. However, I believe the topic has come up in this
    newsgroup in the past. Have you tried a google search of this group?

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 16, 2006
  7. digger440uk

    digger440uk Guest

    You had no way of knowing that i knew how to do a google search? I'm on
    a usenet forum, i'm talking about asp with databases, i mention a
    couple of languages and databases etc. None of these things lit a
    lightbulb that said, lets presume he knows how to google? good grief. I
    always do a big search on usenet and the web before i make any initial
    posting and hope others do the same. I requested a recommendation, not
    a google response. I know you're not a mindreader but i did specify
    what i was after.

    digger440uk, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Why should it? Obviously you have not read many posts made by other
    users. You would probably be shocked at how many posters don't know how
    to do a google search. And even more shocked at the number who do know
    how but post questions without doing research first.

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 18, 2006
  9. digger440uk

    digger440uk Guest

    I wouldn't be shocked because i think you're talking nonsense. If you
    want to talk about forum recommendations please continue on this
    thread, if not go elsewhere.

    digger440uk, Dec 18, 2006
  10. digger440uk

    Evertjan. Guest

    digger440uk wrote on 18 dec 2006 in
    Dear Anonymous,

    Bob is the most knowledgable about ASP database matters in this NG and has
    been so for a long time. He answers Q large and small, even ones I would
    not bother to do, were I in his place.

    If you did not know that, your Google groups reseach on this issue is sure
    to be totally absent, so an admonishment to do research first is in place.

    Asking him to go elsewhere is sad and laughable.

    Evertjan., Dec 18, 2006
  11. digger440uk

    digger440uk Guest

    Evertjan, I've already seen that Bob's a proflific poster and helps out
    many people. I've done the same in other forums & groups so i haven't
    posted with ignorance. My apologies with getting shirty about going
    'elsewhere' but i wanted to keep to the purpose of the thread and a
    little famespit wasn't in anyone's interest. all i requested was a
    recommendation. As i've said i had already looked at the top results on
    google, snitz etc. I had also searched this and other groups - three
    results on 'forum recommendation' from this NG so i felt it was
    reasonable to post a request. My apologies to anyone who felt this was
    unreasonable behaviour.

    digger440uk, Dec 18, 2006
  12. digger440uk

    Evertjan. Guest

    digger440uk wrote on 18 dec 2006 in
    Well said.

    Evertjan., Dec 18, 2006
  13. digger440uk

    Mike Brind Guest

    I've seen similar requests to yours over time, and it's unlikely that you
    will get a different response from the ones given previously, which is no
    recommendation. The reason for the lack of response is I suspect down to
    the fact that the regular posters here are unlikely to be involved in
    building the kind of site that would incorporate a forum/message board. If
    they were, I suspect they are more likely to build one from scratch, to a
    brief and to a standard. I know I would.

    However, what I might also do is to peruse the codebase offered by the
    "free" boards for any useful and well written modular stuff I could make use
    of.

    HTH

    Mike Brind, Dec 18, 2006
  14. digger440uk

    mrbrown_1999 Guest

    Mike - What do you mean "to a brief"? Just curious...

    Digger - I use Snitz and I have installed 10+ mods in addition to
    making my own tweaks. I have the forum fully integrated into my
    existing site and I use the user/pwd login for features other than the
    message board. I couldn't be happier with it.

    -Matt

    mrbrown_1999, Dec 21, 2006
  15. digger440uk

    Mike Brind Guest

    A written document detailing the agreed scope of the project, which will
    include the purpose of the project, functionality, deliverables, project
    constraints (budget, delivery deadlines) etc...

    Mike Brind, Dec 22, 2006
  16. digger440uk

    digger440uk Guest

    Matt,
    I've ended up using Snitz too. It's got heavy use of html tables and
    has almost no rem lines in the code but i agree - you can get results
    with it. Now i've started to tweak it i can see Mike's point of
    building them from scratch - i guess it's a weigh up from how far
    removed the original code is away from where you want to end up.

    digger440uk, Dec 31, 2006