Looking for java programmer to join project

Corona4456

The project is an instant messenger which requires no server. So far
the messenger works and you can send messages across the LAN (which is
what I needed for starters) but now I want to add more features to
it.

Some screen shots below:http://www.coronamatrix.org/images/...ww.coronamatrix.org/images/contactlistcim.png

There may be some slight differences compared to the latest version.

If interested send me and e-mail :).

Thanks.

Something I forgot to mention is that this is an open source project
so there will be no pay involve :) just the experience is all you'll
get.

Daniel Pitts

so there will be no pay involve :) just the experience is all you'll
get.

Two things.
First, Open Source doesn't mean no-pay. Open Source means that the
sourcecode is availible to the end-users.
Second, I wouldn't have assumed pay was involved anyway :)

Randolf Richardson

It looks like another Instant Messenger application. There seems to be a
very large array of these on the market today. What's special about yours
that makes it a better alternative to the other that are well-known, such
as Miranda, the big commercial ones, etc.?
Two things.
First, Open Source doesn't mean no-pay. Open Source means that the
sourcecode is availible to the end-users.
Second, I wouldn't have assumed pay was involved anyway :)

Although it didn't come up here, I think it's also important to point out
another distinction in that "open source" doesn't mean that the software
is free. Take, for instance, MySQL, which has licensing costs for
commercial use, and yet many commercial web hosting companies use it for
commercial purposes under the misunderstanding that it's free because it's
open source.

sreekanth

The project is an instant messenger which requires no server. So far
the messenger works and you can send messages across the LAN (which is
what I needed for starters) but now I want to add more features to
it.

Some screen shots below:http://www.coronamatrix.org/images/...ww.coronamatrix.org/images/contactlistcim.png

There may be some slight differences compared to the latest version.

If interested send me and e-mail :).

Thanks.

Seems interesting...But i want to know how we will implement with out
a server.
Email me if you don;t have any problem.

byee
sreekanth m

Corona4456

Two things.
First, Open Source doesn't mean no-pay. Open Source means that the
sourcecode is availible to the end-users.
Second, I wouldn't have assumed pay was involved anyway :)

Good point there I guess I should have said this is Free Source
then :). Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Corona4456

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:27:28 -0800, Daniel Pitts

<[email protected]> wrote:
It looks like another Instant Messenger application. There seems to be a
very large array of these on the market today. What's special about yours
that makes it a better alternative to the other that are well-known, such
as Miranda, the big commercial ones, etc.?
It is and I'm not really claiming it to be something bigger or better
than other instant messaging programs out there.
This is mainly for experience and I found a need for a LAN messenger
(i.e. no internet connection exists) so I decided to figure
implement one myself. I haven't really seen one that's free and I
wasn't aware that Miranda had that possibility.

Obviously the limitations are that you can message outside of the LAN,
however, I was just trying to create a means of communication between
two houses that are networked but don't have an internet connection.
That's all I was looking for :).
Although it didn't come up here, I think it's also important to point out
another distinction in that "open source" doesn't mean that the software
is free. Take, for instance, MySQL, which has licensing costs for
commercial use, and yet many commercial web hosting companies use it for
commercial purposes under the misunderstanding that it's free because it's
open source.
Thanks for that info. I did not know that.

Corona4456

Seems interesting...But i want to know how we will implement with out
a server.
Email me if you don;t have any problem.

byee
sreekanth m
The limitation is (as already mentioned) the serverless part will only
work on the LAN. I plan on quite possibly interfacing this with like
google or something (not that I don't like GTalk but I think it would
be a good experience to have a messenger which works both without a
server (when no internet connection is available) and with a server
(when an internet connection is available)).

Corona4456

It is and I'm not really claiming it to be something bigger or better
than other instant messaging programs out there.
This is mainly for experience and I found a need for a LAN messenger
(i.e. no internet connection exists) so I decided to figure
implement one myself. I haven't really seen one that's free and I
wasn't aware that Miranda had that possibility.

Obviously the limitations are that you can message outside of the LAN,
however, I was just trying to create a means of communication between
two houses that are networked but don't have an internet connection.
That's all I was looking for :).

Thanks for that info. I did not know that.

Wow... this post had a lot of typos in it!

'so I decided to figure implement one myself'
should be:
'so I decided to implement one myself'

'Obviously the limitations are that you can message outside of the
LAN'
should be:
'Obviously the limitations are that you *can't* message outside of the
LAN'

Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Chris Uppal

Randolf said:
It looks like another Instant Messenger application. There seems to be a
very large array of these on the market today. What's special about yours
that makes it a better alternative to the other that are well-known, such
as Miranda, the big commercial ones, etc.?

I don't know about the OP's intentions, but it seems to me that for something
like Instant Messaging there's a huge benefit to be gained from avoiding the
mass-market versions. Improved security.

For some reason IM apps seem to be mostly written in C or C++ (a poor choice
for any application which is open to uncontrolled data from the Net by design).
Also their authors also seem to be unable to resist the temptation to add all
sorts of security-reducing complexity -- fluff like skins, plugins, and so on.

'Course, the /down/side is that nobody else will use using your IM app, so you
may find it hard to find people to play with ;-)

-- chris

Daniel Pitts

On Jan 29, 7:27 pm, "Daniel Pitts" <[email protected]>
wrote: [snip]
Two things.
First, Open Source doesn't mean no-pay. Open Source means that the
sourcecode is availible to the end-users.
Second, I wouldn't have assumed pay was involved anyway :)

Good point there I guess I should have said this is Free Source
then :). Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Actually, you should have said "Freeware", and as a side-note it is
also Open Source. :)

Alex Hunsley

sreekanth said:
Seems interesting...But i want to know how we will implement with out
a server.
Email me if you don;t have any problem.

Whereas if he has any problems, he shouldn't email you?

Corona4456

On Jan 29, 7:27 pm, "Daniel Pitts" <[email protected]>
wrote: [snip]
Two things.
First, Open Source doesn't mean no-pay. Open Source means that the
sourcecode is availible to the end-users.
Second, I wouldn't have assumed pay was involved anyway :)
Good point there I guess I should have said this is Free Source
then :). Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

Actually, you should have said "Freeware", and as a side-note it is
also Open Source. :)

Damn it ... got me again! :) Ok... this is a Freeware project :p.

Corona4456

Whereas if he has any problems, he shouldn't email you?

LOL... I actually didn't see it that way but reading it more thorough
this time around... it actually sounds like that's what he means...
heh.

Randolf Richardson

It is and I'm not really claiming it to be something bigger or better
than other instant messaging programs out there.
This is mainly for experience and I found a need for a LAN messenger
(i.e. no internet connection exists) so I decided to figure
implement one myself. I haven't really seen one that's free and I

Experience is a noble justification in my view.

In your product design, I encourage you to also look into the
java.awt.SystemTray class (this is available as of Java v1.6) since many
people who are accustomed to using Instant Messenger applications will
likely expect that they can minimize to the System Tray. The really nice
thing about java.awt.SystemTray is that it is currently supported on KDE
and Gnome as well (and hopefully more will be added in the future as well).
wasn't aware that Miranda had that possibility.

For a private LAN, I believe you will still need a system to act as a
server somewhere, such as an IRC or Jabber server (I'm assuming that many
free, and possibly open source, options are available on the internet
now). I'm not sure about Jabber, but I know that the IRC protocol (which,
as I recall, is very extensive) is documented in the RFCs.
Obviously the limitations are that you can message outside of the LAN,
however, I was just trying to create a means of communication between
two houses that are networked but don't have an internet connection.
That's all I was looking for :).
[sNip]

You could also set up eMail servers on each system.

Corona4456

In your product design, I encourage you to also look into the
java.awt.SystemTray class (this is available as of Java v1.6) since many
people who are accustomed to using Instant Messenger applications will
likely expect that they can minimize to the System Tray. The really nice
thing about java.awt.SystemTray is that it is currently supported on KDE
and Gnome as well (and hopefully more will be added in the future as well).

I was going to hold off on that for now but I did have it planned.
For a private LAN, I believe you will still need a system to act as a
server somewhere, such as an IRC or Jabber server (I'm assuming that many
free, and possibly open source, options are available on the internet
now). I'm not sure about Jabber, but I know that the IRC protocol (which,
as I recall, is very extensive) is documented in the RFCs.
Well... maybe I should be more clear. As it stands you are able to
chat with others on the local network without needing a server. As
for a system acting as a server. Yes that is true ... the client has
an integrated server. So far I have pseudo implemented xmpp protocol
but I don't plan on doing that thoroughly. I'm actually thinking
about using the Smack api
to help me out with that part. When a user logs in ... all the users
currently online will be notified immediately.
Then in turn the online users will notify the user who all is online.
Of course this takes out the part where you don't
have the choice of who you want to add but that can be added if need
be.

So basically all I really want to do is add features to it. I have
quite a few that I want to add but I would like to work with someone
on these features. Some of them can turn into huge projects depending
on what problems we encounter.

Alex Hunsley

sreekanth said:
Seems interesting...But i want to know how we will implement with out
a server.
Email me if you don;t have any problem.

Whereas if he has any problems, he shouldn't email you?

Daniel Pitts

The limitation is (as already mentioned) the serverless part will only
work on the LAN. I plan on quite possibly interfacing this with like
google or something (not that I don't like GTalk but I think it would
be a good experience to have a messenger which works both without a
server (when no internet connection is available) and with a server
(when an internet connection is available)).

Or, make it run in peer-2-peer mode, so there are no servers even over
the internet? :)
Ofcourse, you'd have to have some sort of public/private encryption if
you want any kind of security :)

Corona4456

Or, make it run in peer-2-peer mode, so there are no servers even over
the internet? :)
Ofcourse, you'd have to have some sort of public/private encryption if
you want any kind of security :)

Yeah... something I would like to worry about later (if I decide to
take it that far).

Anyway, back on track. If interested and serious about joining send
me an e-mail.