lost the key store password, can create new keystore?

Andrew Thompson

I have lost the key store password I used to
sign the PhySci jar (damn it!).

If I create a new keystore and sign PhySci
using it, it it going to stuff up the JWS update
of the app?

Matthew Zimmer

--
Andrew Thompson

Well, this can be a pain, but you can resign it with a new key.
However, keep in mind that you'll have to sign any jars or other
resources that you use in the same JWS program. Also, make sure you
remove any signatures that are currently in it (usually removing WEB_INF
will do that) or you will have issues. Oh, another thing is that by
resigning it, your users will see a new warning message about an
"unsafe" program trying to be installed. It will almost be like them
reinstalling it for the first time.

HTH
Matthew

Andrew Thompson

Matthew Zimmer said:
Well, this can be a pain, but you can resign it with a new key.
Excellent!

However, keep in mind that you'll have to sign any jars or other
resources that you use in the same JWS program.

Easy peasy, there is only the one..
..Also, make sure you
remove any signatures that are currently in it (usually removing WEB_INF
will do that) or you will have issues.

I do not understand this bit.

The Jar has a meta-inf directory but no
WEB_INF directory.
My _server_ has a WEB-INF directory,
...but I am not about to delete that.

What do you mean?
..Oh, another thing is that by
resigning it, your users will see a new warning message about an
"unsafe" program trying to be installed. It will almost be like them
reinstalling it for the first time.

That is unfortunate, but it is not a huge problem.

Matthew Zimmer

Andrew said:
Easy peasy, there is only the one..

Lucky you. When I had to do this I had 10 I had to deal with.
I do not understand this bit.

The Jar has a meta-inf directory but no
WEB_INF directory.
My _server_ has a WEB-INF directory,
..but I am not about to delete that.

What do you mean?

Sorry...that's what I get for responding too quick without reading over
what I wrote. You are correct about the meta-inf being what you need to
delete...I've been working with tomcat a bit too much lately! :) What
you really need to remove is the Manifest.mf file (in the meta-inf
directory). Well, you might need to remove it. If you open up the
current manifest file you may see something like this:

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Name: javax/activation/DataContentHandlerFactory.class
Digest-Algorithms: SHA MD5
SHA-Digest: r8rO1d/D9kIJu3GiNzYWgykpnIM=
MD5-Digest: hA9KvoHe3sxjrf2X5oY+tA==
SHA1-Digest: r8rO1d/D9kIJu3GiNzYWgykpnIM=

The second part is what gets added when you actually sign the file. If
you see something like this (look for the "Digest") you'll need to
remove the manifest file and either add yours back in (some people use
the manifest file for executable jars) or just resign as that'll add it
automatically. If you don't remove it, a second signature gets added to
the jar file and that really messes up WebStart.

HTH
Matthew

Roedy Green

The second part is what gets added when you actually sign the file. If
you see something like this (look for the "Digest") you'll need to
remove the manifest file and either add yours back in (some people use
the manifest file for executable jars) or just resign as that'll add it
automatically. If you don't remove it, a second signature gets added to
the jar file and that really messes up WebStart.

The other ways to do it are just to create the jar from scratch, or to
unpack the jar and recreate it and resign it.

Andrew Thompson

Matthew Zimmer said:
....remove is the Manifest.mf file (in the meta-inf
directory).

Yep! Now we are 'on the same page'. I'll just
regenerate the jar from scratch, as Roedy suggested.

Thanks to you both. I should be able to load some updates
to the PhySci project soon, something I have wanted to
do for about 6 months! :)