Lot of good questions on WML, WAP [Push] / HTTP, Cell-carrier / Telco, SMSC / MMSC, Servlet for wire

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jimmy, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    - Does WML has post method like in HTML? So it's just really sending
    a HTTP request.
    - Or WAP [Push] only? Is WAP widely use and common-standard in the
    wireless world these days?
    - Whether is HTTP or WAP [Push], can I send binary? Or need encoded
    with Base64?

    - Does cell-carrier (or telco) accept HTTP? WAP [Push]?
    - If so, which one? Bell Mobility, AT&T Rogers Wireless, or Telus
    - Does any of them (carriers) accept virtual SMS or MMS #?
    - Will they (carriers) forward the cell request as HTTP? Email? to a
    server (i.e. pre-defined IP ... say my little linux box at home?).
    - Will they (carriers) have public API (i.e. through HTTP or even
    Push-Proxy-Gateway) to accept request then forward request (may
    contain just text or even binary) back to cell phone?
    - Do any of them (carriers) have SMSC and/or MMSC to be access

    - Is there such as thing as WAP [Push] servlet? If so, do I need to
    implement one or there's already an open-source library (i.e. say in
    Java) I can use?

    Hope some of you experts out there can help me answer these questions.
    Jimmy, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Andrew Thompson, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Jimmy

    touchring Guest

    WAP Push is not the WAP version of HTTP POST. It's meant to deliver
    sort of WAP header file that will prompt the automatic download of
    content over WAP. This header file will include a URL and content as
    well as the "action type" (new content, delete old content, etc), and
    can be delivered either using SMS or over GPRS.

    You can find more information on WAP Push here -

    touchring, Nov 30, 2004