Mac users and MS Internet Explorer

The Magpie

Danger, Will Robinson, danger!

Microsoft have announced that there will be no further updates, patches,
work or downloads for the Mac version of IE and that users should
*immediately* switch to an alternative browser. Naturally, they advise
people to jump to Safari rather than Firefox, but for all Apple users
the time has come to jump ship from IE.

So - to the real point - which browser would be the best for Mac users
from the point of making use of Javascript features?

RobG

The said:
Danger, Will Robinson, danger!

Microsoft have announced that there will be no further updates, patches,
work or downloads for the Mac version of IE and that users should
*immediately* switch to an alternative browser. Naturally, they advise
people to jump to Safari rather than Firefox, but for all Apple users
the time has come to jump ship from IE.

Well, they said they'd drop support back in 2003, so giving 2 weeks
notice of the final demise of IE should not be a big issue.

The only people still using IE on Mac should be OS 9 or OS X 10.1 users,
everyone else should be using something much more modern.

So - to the real point - which browser would be the best for Mac users
from the point of making use of Javascript features?

I like Safari, I love the very clean interface but its support for
JavaScript and DOM leave a bit to be desired (though very little in the
latest versions). Anything after OS X 10.3 should be fine.

Otherwise, use Firefox or Camino. Others are Opera, OmniWeb (originally
my favourite) and iCab, but I think development of the Mac version of
Opera is behind the Windows version.

Michael Winter

[...] I think development of the Mac version of Opera is behind the
Windows version.

Looking at the Download section, it would seem to depend on the OS
version used. Recent OS X users can use the latest Opera version. Early
OS X users can use the latest 7.5x version. Everyone else would have to
use 6.x (which may still be an improvement upon IE/Mac).

Mike