stylesheets and Internet Explorer 7

Lucie Zuiderwijk

I had, together with a designer, made a site that looked well in Firefox (on
Apple, [there it looked as should be also in Safari and Opera], as well as on
a Windows driven machine), but looked awfull in Internet Explorer on my
Windows XP driven machine. The stylesheet is not respected. A "margin-top:
160px;" is neglected, so a textblock that should start 160 pixels out of the
top, started right at the top. I had to work around that with transparent
gif's to get the textblock situated as should be, had to split up the page in
frames, had to reprogram menu's, so after 1,5 hours extra time spent at that
site, it looked right, etc. The strange thing is that for that same textblock
a "margin-left: 373px;" is respected!

Also from a submenu one can go within that textblock to ankers. This causes
the page to go up, all the way, in stead of, keeping the textblock where it
is and just bringing that anker to the top of the textblok.

A real hassle, IE7!!!!!!
Can this bug please be repaired as a lot of webdevelopers will have trouble
with this version of IE7.

Ohh, how happy will the world be with that update on February 12th, when
Internet Explorer is automatically uploaded to all those that use any version
of Windows!!

Look at http://www.guusjevandeven.nl/nwesite and
http://www.guusjevandeven.nl/nwesite_ie7 to see what I mean and please look
at it on an Apple with Safari of Firefox (or on a Windows machine with
Firefox for my part.

gerry

Looking at the link you posted firefox alone is over 36% !

George Ter-Saakov said:
What a strange idea to make site work for Firefox on apple and Safari an
Opera..

Altogether it covers about 4% of people browsing internet....
Make it work with IE 7 and it will cover about 20%

George.

Lucie Zuiderwijk said:
[...]

Scott Roberts

Interesting stats, not sure I buy it.

On my site (which targets US users only) Firefox is only 11.8%. And Mac
users only account for 5.5%.

As for trouble with IE7 and style sheets, well, IE7 is leaps and bounds
above IE6. Most of my CSS works pretty well in both IE7 and FF, with only
minor tweaks required here and there. A great site for browser
incompatibilities is http://www.positioniseverything.net

YWIA

George Ter-Saakov said:
What a strange idea to make site work for Firefox on apple and Safari an
Opera..

Altogether it covers about 4% of people browsing internet....
Make it work with IE 7 and it will cover about 20%

George.

message I had, together with a designer, made a site that looked well in Firefox
[...]

George Ter-Saakov

I agree with you that those stats are off comparing to "normal" sites.
The reason is that mostly visitors to http://www.w3schools.com are techies
and a lot of them, for whatever reason, like to use something weird like
Opera on Mac...

I have a "normal" e-commerce site http://www.mspiercing.com and I can say
that FireFox is hovering about 8%...

George.

gerry said:
Looking at the link you posted firefox alone is over 36% !

What a strange idea to make site work for Firefox on apple and Safari
an Opera..

Altogether it covers about 4% of people browsing internet....
Make it work with IE 7 and it will cover about 20%

George.

in message I had, together with a designer, made a site that looked well in
[...]

gerry

" ... on Apple ... as well as on a Windows driven machine ... "

'Probably" ? Where are you getting the browser by OS stats ?
On the site you linked to they have usage stats by browser & usage stats by
OS - but no usage stats for browser by OS.

George Ter-Saakov said:
[...]

George Ter-Saakov

that is where "probably" came from. Cause that link does not show those
stats.
Most Macs using Safari.
Hence my guestimate for Firefox on Mac.

do not get hung up on digits. My point was that the guy choose 3 rarely used
browsers/platforms to test his site with.....

George.