stylesheets and Internet Explorer 7

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lucie Zuiderwijk, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. I had, together with a designer, made a site that looked well in Firefox (on
    Apple, [there it looked as should be also in Safari and Opera], as well as on
    a Windows driven machine), but looked awfull in Internet Explorer on my
    Windows XP driven machine. The stylesheet is not respected. A "margin-top:
    160px;" is neglected, so a textblock that should start 160 pixels out of the
    top, started right at the top. I had to work around that with transparent
    gif's to get the textblock situated as should be, had to split up the page in
    frames, had to reprogram menu's, so after 1,5 hours extra time spent at that
    site, it looked right, etc. The strange thing is that for that same textblock
    a "margin-left: 373px;" is respected!

    Also from a submenu one can go within that textblock to ankers. This causes
    the page to go up, all the way, in stead of, keeping the textblock where it
    is and just bringing that anker to the top of the textblok.

    A real hassle, IE7!!!!!!
    Can this bug please be repaired as a lot of webdevelopers will have trouble
    with this version of IE7.

    Ohh, how happy will the world be with that update on February 12th, when
    Internet Explorer is automatically uploaded to all those that use any version
    of Windows!!

    Look at http://www.guusjevandeven.nl/nwesite and
    http://www.guusjevandeven.nl/nwesite_ie7 to see what I mean and please look
    at it on an Apple with Safari of Firefox (or on a Windows machine with
    Firefox for my part.

    Lucie Zuiderwijk, Feb 4, 2008

  2. Lucie Zuiderwijk

    Aidy Guest

    The stylesheet is not respected. A "margin-top:
    Try padding-top instead.

    Aidy, Feb 4, 2008

  3. George Ter-Saakov, Feb 4, 2008
  4. Lucie Zuiderwijk

    gerry Guest

    Looking at the link you posted firefox alone is over 36% !

    gerry, Feb 4, 2008
  5. Read more carefully.....they guy said FireFox on Apple....
    Probably 35% is Firefox.... on Windows and 1% Firefox on Mac....

    George

    George Ter-Saakov, Feb 4, 2008
  6. Interesting stats, not sure I buy it.

    On my site (which targets US users only) Firefox is only 11.8%. And Mac
    users only account for 5.5%.

    As for trouble with IE7 and style sheets, well, IE7 is leaps and bounds
    above IE6. Most of my CSS works pretty well in both IE7 and FF, with only
    minor tweaks required here and there. A great site for browser
    incompatibilities is http://www.positioniseverything.net

    YWIA

    Scott Roberts, Feb 4, 2008
  7. I agree with you that those stats are off comparing to "normal" sites.
    The reason is that mostly visitors to http://www.w3schools.com are techies
    and a lot of them, for whatever reason, like to use something weird like
    Opera on Mac...

    I have a "normal" e-commerce site http://www.mspiercing.com and I can say
    that FireFox is hovering about 8%...

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Feb 5, 2008
  8. Lucie Zuiderwijk

    gerry Guest

    " ... on Apple ... as well as on a Windows driven machine ... "

    'Probably" ? Where are you getting the browser by OS stats ?
    On the site you linked to they have usage stats by browser & usage stats by
    OS - but no usage stats for browser by OS.

    gerry, Feb 5, 2008
  9. that is where "probably" came from. Cause that link does not show those
    stats.
    Most Macs using Safari.
    Hence my guestimate for Firefox on Mac.

    do not get hung up on digits. My point was that the guy choose 3 rarely used
    browsers/platforms to test his site with.....

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Feb 5, 2008