macro expansion vs replacement

Pavel

Are the meanings of the terms
a. "macro expansion" used in 16-1, 16.1-4 of the Standard and
b. "macro replacement" used everywhere else
exactly same?

Thanks in advance,
-Pavel

Victor Bazarov

Are the meanings of the terms
a. "macro expansion" used in 16-1, 16.1-4 of the Standard and
b. "macro replacement" used everywhere else
exactly same?

"Expanded" applied to macros is also used in 2.2/4 (Phases of
translation). It seems (to me) that "expansion" is the process of
*replacing* all macros with their respective substitutes. Each
occurrence, however, is a "replacement".

Pavel

Victor said:
"Expanded" applied to macros is also used in 2.2/4 (Phases of translation). It
seems (to me) that "expansion" is the process of *replacing* all macros with
their respective substitutes. Each occurrence, however, is a "replacement".

Thanks -- now after reading your answer and re-reading 16.1-4 I think you are
right. The texts seem to refer to macro expansion as a step that consists of
macro replacements in the context of processing controlling constant expression
... uff.

-Pavel