Mailman - Sendmail problem

swangdb

I have a Sun Server running Solaris 10 and Sendmail 8.13.7. I have
Majordomo and Listproc installed on this server and they work. I have
several production majordomo and listproc mailing lists installed on
this server and they work.

I am trying to get Mailman to work on this server and so far, no luck.
I installed the software (Mailman 2.1.8 and Python 2.4.3), reconfigured
mm_cfg.py, started the software, added the cron entries, created a test
mailing list, added the list information to /etc/aliases, ran
newaliases and subscribed myself. When I send a message to the list,
it doesn't send me a copy of the message (I am the only subscriber to
the list). If I look on the list's web site, the message I sent is
contained in the archives.

In the Mailman error log, I get messages similar to the following when
I send a message to the mailing list:
***
Aug 21 12:52:07 2006 (3871) SHUNTING:
1156182726.7459469+ce82b7624960d1de5eea043fee45821044e3dfec
Aug 21 13:28:00 2006 (3871) Uncaught runner exception: Use of the
Sendmail.py delivery module is highly discouraged
Aug 21 13:28:00 2006 (3871) Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in
_oneloop
self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in
_onefile
keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 73,
in _dispose
self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Sendmail.py", line 71, in
process
assert 0, 'Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly
discouraged'
AssertionError: Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly
discouraged
***

It's funny, Sendmail.py is included with the program source, but the
documentation says that "Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is
highly discouraged." Is it possible to use Mailman with sendmail
without using Sendmail.py? I'd like to use sendmail if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

skip

At the python level, assert 0 is going to fail. You can either hack the
source to 'assert 1, ...' or, better yet, dig around and see if there's
another delivery module that works with sendmail better than Sendmail.py.

One other thing... Have you posted your request to the mailman-users
mailing list? <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users>
You're more likely to get a knowledgable Mailman-related answer from the
folks who use Mailman daily.

Skip

Taylor, Grant

swangdb said:
I have a Sun Server running Solaris 10 and Sendmail 8.13.7. I have
Majordomo and Listproc installed on this server and they work. I have
several production majordomo and listproc mailing lists installed on
this server and they work.

Shesh. That's just a few mailing list managers.
I am trying to get Mailman to work on this server and so far, no luck.
I installed the software (Mailman 2.1.8 and Python 2.4.3), reconfigured
mm_cfg.py, started the software, added the cron entries, created a test
mailing list, added the list information to /etc/aliases, ran
newaliases and subscribed myself. When I send a message to the list,
it doesn't send me a copy of the message (I am the only subscriber to
the list). If I look on the list's web site, the message I sent is
contained in the archives.

Are you sure that you are set to receive your own posts to the mailing list? MM has an option for subscribers to not receive their own posts and I can not recall what the default is. I also believe there is a site config default for the value over the source code default.
In the Mailman error log, I get messages similar to the following when
I send a message to the mailing list:

It's funny, Sendmail.py is included with the program source, but the
documentation says that "Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is
highly discouraged." Is it possible to use Mailman with sendmail
without using Sendmail.py? I'd like to use sendmail if possible.

I am presently using MailMan with Sendmail 8.13.8 with out any problems. I have MM configured as a mailer. I have all my mailing lists on a separate domain that is configured to relay through Sendmail. I use Mailertable to tell Sendmail to use a separate mailer, verses SMTP, to relay messages for my MM sub domains. Note, the mailer config does not use Sendmail.py to deliver messages.
Thanks for any help you can give!

You are welcome.

Grant. . . .

swangdb

Okay, I removed the "DELIVERY_MODULE = 'Sendmail`" line from mm_cfg.py
and used the default "DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'" and it now it
worked, I sent a message to the mailing list and received a copy.

This was probably right in front of me the whole time.