make install not working under msys/mingw32

Joel VanderWerf

I'm upgrading my mingw32 ruby from 1.8.1 to the latest 1.9.0 snapshot.
The configure, make, and make test steps went fine, and I can run ruby
from the build dir:

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.0 (2004-07-10) [i386-mingw32]

However, make install is not working. It quickly (_too_ quickly) runs
through the usual list of installs:

/miniruby.exe ./instruby.rb --dest-dir="" --make="make" --mflags="-
--unix" --make-flags=" --unix" --mantype="man"
install -c -p -m 0755 ruby.exe /usr/local/bin/ruby.exe
install -c -p -m 0755 rubyw.exe /usr/local/bin
install -c -p -m 0755 msvcrt-ruby19.dll /usr/local/bin
install -c -p -m 0755 libmsvcrt-ruby19.dll.a /usr/local/lib

and so on.

But nothing actually gets copied to /usr/local or to anywhere else in my
msys tree, for that matter (verified with find and with the windows
search util). There are no error messages.

If I run one of the install lines by itself, it works fine.

I put some tests in instruby.rb to make sure that $dryrun is not set,
and it's not.

Interestingly, the rdoc stuff _did_ install properly in
/usr/local/share/ri/1.9/system/. It's just the bin/ and lib/ files that
didn't make it.

Any ideas? Why is make install failing silently?

Joel VanderWerf

Joel said:
[...]

More information: it's not failing, exactly. It's installing to C:\. So
ruby.exe goes to C:\usr\local\bin\ruby.exe, rather than
C:\msys\1.0\local\bin\ruby.exe.

Maybe the problem is the --dest-dir="" option. Why isn't configure
setting that properly? (There is apparently no manual way to set dest-dir.)

Or maybe the problem has to do with the msys mount point. My msys is set
up to mount C:\msys\1.0 on /usr. But somehow the installer isn't
recognizing that.

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:15:16 +0900,
Joel VanderWerf wrote in [ruby-talk:106147]:
Maybe the problem is the --dest-dir="" option. Why isn't configure
setting that properly? (There is apparently no manual way to set dest-dir.)

Due to MSYS bash's weird behavior; it changes command lines
arbitrarily. MSYS isn't supported, and isn't planned to get
supported.

Joel VanderWerf

Hi,

At Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:15:16 +0900,
Joel VanderWerf wrote in [ruby-talk:106147]:
Maybe the problem is the --dest-dir="" option. Why isn't configure
setting that properly? (There is apparently no manual way to set dest-dir.)

Due to MSYS bash's weird behavior; it changes command lines
arbitrarily. MSYS isn't supported, and isn't planned to get
supported.

Oh, ok. Good to know that before going too far.

I guess it's better to use cygwin with the mingw compiler then, as Jeff
Mitchel suggested in

http://ruby-talk.net/104086

I'll either do that or try to get msvc to do the right thing with my code...