Make python 3.3 the default one and not 2.7

D. Xenakis

Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
Thx in advance.

Wolfgang Maier

D. Xenakis said:
Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from
http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version
too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version
interpreter launces. In addition if i
right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the
default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
Thx in advance.

Check out the post at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4664646/how-to-change-default-python-version-on-windows-xp
..
Especially the part about changing the registry. The Python.File entry mentioned
there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.
Best,
Wolfgang

Dave Angel

Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
Thx in advance.

That was one of the choices you were presented with during the install.
It defaults to making the newly installed one the default, but there
was a checkbox or something. (It's been years since I did a Windows
install, so I don't really remember)

Anyway, if Wolfgang's link doesn't do it for you, consider re-installing
3.3. It should just go on top of the existing one, and the only change
should be that it would then become the default one.

Mark Lawrence

Hi there, i installed python 2.7 (windows 32bit version) from http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and after that i installed official 3.3 version too. So now i got two python folders like this.. c:/Python27 and c:/Python33 .
My problem is that when im trying to execute a .py file, the 2.7 version interpreter launces. In addition if i right click and select Edit with IDLE, again version 2.7 interpreter opens. How can i make python 3.3 the default one, as i need this cause i have PyQt4 installed there and so it does not work with 2.7 .
Thx in advance.

Not quite answering your question but are you aware of
http://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html#launcher ?

D. Xenakis

I tried to reinstall python 3.3 but there was not change :(.
I selected to run all component from my PC.
I'll give it a try with those registries.

D. Xenakis

I tried to reinstall python 3.3 but there was not change :(.
I selected to run all component from my PC.
I'll give it a try with those registries.

D. Xenakis

?? ???????, 3 ???????? 2013 12:43:43 ?.?. UTC+3, ? ??????? Wolfgang Maier ??????:
D. Xenakis <gouzounakis <at> hotmail.com> writes:

official 3.3 version

interpreter launces. In addition if i

How can i make python 3.3 the

not work with 2.7 .

.

Especially the part about changing the registry. The Python.File entry mentioned

there also has the information about the IDLE version to use.

Best,

Wolfgang

I changed this too Python.CompiledFile to my 33 version.
Should i not touch this key?

D. Xenakis said:
I changed this too Python.CompiledFile to my 33 version.
Should i not touch this key?

The [.CompiledFile\shell\open\command] sets the python version used
for running pre-compiled .pyc files.
Likewise, [.NoConFile\shell\open\command] sets it for .pyw files
(intended to be run not from a console window - hence the name of the
entry).
Usually, you will want to have all of them point to the same Python
version.

Best,
Wolfgang