Making C better (by borrowing from C++)

Richard Heathfield

Malcolm McLean said:
Don't go for a job in sales and marketing.

I wasn't planning on it. But if I did, I still would not use comp.lang.c as
a sales channel. That isn't what it's for.

David Laudedale

I'm consider my country's attack on and occupation of Iraq to be
crimes for which, in an ideal world, George W. Bush and many of the
top members of his administration could be brought to a fair trial on
capital charges by a trustworthy entity with the legitimate authority,
will, and power to do so. Unfortunately, in the real world I know of
no entity that possess more than two of the four characteristics I
just specified. I consider that my country's re-election of George
Bush, after all the lies had been fully unveiled, makes the country as
a whole an accessory after the fact in those crimes.

So, no, I am not very proud to be a US citizen right now. It will take
a long time to remove these stains from our country's honor. But a
slim majority of us are fighting to take back control of this
government in the next election, so I see a faint hope for
improvement.

This garbage is absolutely typical of the left-liberal elite in the US!
You should be ashamed to call yourself a US citizen. Our country and our
President deserve our support and loyalty at times of war. George W.
Bush is a man of great personal integrity who has only ever acted from
the best and purest motives, to defend our country from the ever-growing
terrorist threat.

You want to see Bush in court: I'd like to see the terrorists who hate
America in court, and Bush praised for his attempts to defeat them.

I fear for our country if our next President is a wet Democrat following
the failed policy of appeasement. Al Quaeda must be rubbing their hands
with glee at the thought of Bush going and being replaced by a puppy dog
who'll be scared to take the tough decisions needed to meet the
terrorist threat.
However, I would not agree that "Yank" is as much of an insult as
"Talib" (the singular form of "Taliban"). I regret that my country's
behavior has frequently been far short of the ideals it has nominally
promoted, but the Taliban's behavior has been much worse. Most
importantly, the evil behavior of the Taliban has been in accord with
their professed "ideals"; the evil behavior of the Bush administration
has been in conflict with my country's professed ideals.

I don't see how fighting for freedom and democracy and opposing
terrorist violence conflicts with any of our country's ideals.

Being a traitor and opposing the brave men and women in our armed forces
on the other hand... I don't see any American ideal in that!

David

CBFalconer

Chris said:
Quite a restrictive license...

How so? In the case of lcc-win, for example, you don't have the
source code. This makes it totally impossible to use it in any
way. With gcc, you can incorporate that source code as long as you
license the result under GPL. Seems a good deal freer. Not to
mention the restriction against using lcc-win binaries in
commercial projects, which doesn't exist for gcc.

Notice that I am not even mentioning the impossibilities associated
with Microslush code.

CBFalconer

Chris said:
(e-mail address removed) writes

In many many parts of the world "yank" is a worse insult.
In fact in some parts of the world Yank has been changed to
"septic" as in septic-tank == yank.

Well, I live in Maine, which is a major portion of New England. I
would be hard put to find anybody that even got annoyed at a 'Yank'
appellation. If a name doesn't annoy those whom it describes, can
it possibly be considered insulting? Do you get hot under the
collar when described as 'English' or 'British'?

jameskuyper

David Laudedale wrote:
This garbage is absolutely typical of the left-liberal elite in the US!
You should be ashamed to call yourself a US citizen. Our country and our
President deserve our support and loyalty at times of war.

No matter how bad their reasons for going to war are? If that's your
definition of patriotism, then what you call patriotism is a sometimes
a vice, not a virtue. A loyal citizen has not only the right, but in
fact a moral obligation to oppose his country if it is currently
engaged in immoral activities.
I fear for our country if our next President is a wet Democrat following
the failed policy of appeasement. Al Quaeda must be rubbing their hands
with glee at the thought of Bush going and being replaced by a puppy dog
who'll be scared to take the tough decisions needed to meet the
terrorist threat.

I have no objections to making the "tough decisions" needed to meet
the terrorist threat. It was the use of the terrorist threat as an
excuse to commit immoral acts that had nothing to do with fighting
terrorism that I want George and his administration to stand trial
for.
I don't see how fighting for freedom and democracy and opposing
terrorist violence conflicts with any of our country's ideals.

Attacking a country with no just cause.

Holding people (some of them US citizens) against their will, without
bothering to charge them with anything, without giving them a fair
opportunity to present relevant evidence and arguments that their
detention might be unjustified. Specifically, not allowing them to
face their accusers, or even know what the evidence against them was;
denying them right to independent counsel; in many case giving them no
opportunity for judicial review of any kind. I don't doubt that many
the accused are in fact guilty - but it is not any part of the
American ideal that I know of to punish them without a fair
opportunity to prove that they don't deserve to be punished.

Violating international law and even our own laws by torturing
prisoners, and then making bald-faced claims that what is obviously
torture isn't torture.

Executing the occupation with levels of incompetence and corruption
rivaling those of the previous government, including the award of no-
bid contract to political supporters.

I see a few conflicts with our country's ideals. If your vision of our
country's ideals are compatible with these events, I pity you.
Being a traitor and opposing the brave men and women in our armed forces
on the other hand... I don't see any American ideal in that!

Brave men and women can be and often have been given orders to commit
illegal or immoral orders, such as the invasion of a country without
just cause. Opposing such activities may qualify as treason in your
mind; but if so, then what you call treason is sometimes a virtue, not
a vice. I will follow the path of what I consider virtue, regardless
of whether you (or the US government) consider it patriotism or
treason.

Richard

David Laudedale said:
This garbage is absolutely typical of the left-liberal elite in the
US! You should be ashamed to call yourself a US citizen. Our country
and our President deserve our support and loyalty at times of
war. George W. Bush is a man of great personal integrity who has only
ever acted from the best and purest motives, to defend our country
from the ever-growing terrorist threat.

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

http://www.infowarsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2952

Interesting battle in itself.

Kenny McCormack

David Laudedale said:
This garbage is absolutely typical of the left-liberal elite in the US!
You should be ashamed to call yourself a US citizen. Our country and our
President deserve our support and loyalty at times of war. George W.
Bush is a man of great personal integrity who has only ever acted from
the best and purest motives, to defend our country from the ever-growing
terrorist threat.

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

--
Useful clc-related links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

And one not CLC-related (just for this once - because this poster really
needs it):

http://www.stephaniemiller.com

Tony Mc

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:46:35 +0000, David Laudedale

<a load of us imperialist rubbish>

This is a troll, right? Noone seriously believes the stuff you wrote,
surely?

Tony

Chris Hills

Tony Mc said:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:46:35 +0000, David Laudedale

<a load of us imperialist rubbish>

This is a troll, right? Noone seriously believes the stuff you wrote,
surely?

Tony

Sadly some do.

There are a lot who seem to think that GWB is an intelligent man who
knows what he is doing and he is doing the right thing... it's just the
rest of the world that is wrong.

You should see some of the similar types on the terrorism NG..... they
think Fox news is middle of the road!

Keith Thompson

[SNIP]

Oh, good. The one thing this newsgroup really needed was a flame war
about US politics.

Take it someplace else, *please*. If that means letting someone whose
opinion you despise have the last word, so be it.

Keith Thompson

Chris Hills said:
The problem is that now the MS library is "official" they have started
to use official words like "depreciate" for anything else. This just
shows that a company in MS's position can subvert the standards
process.
[...]

I believe the word is "deprecate", not "depreciate".

Harald van Dijk

Quite a restrictive license...

No, not even close. It _literally_ doesn't restrict you at all. The GPL
is explicit on that: you don't have to accept it. If you don't, standard
copyright laws apply. (And if your country's copyright laws say you're
allowed to include GPL-licensed code into a non-GPL derivative without
the author's permission, go right ahead, but I doubt they do.) If you do
accept it, you get additional permissions beyond the standard ones.

Which compiler do you have in mind that allows more? I'm aware of a few,
but not any in a state where I would recommend it yet. If you know of
some other, please do share; I would be happy to switch.

Default User

David said:
On 27/12/2007 19:56, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

Both James and David should ashamed of themselves for dragging that
stuff in here. You both owe apologies to the newsgroup.

Brian

Richard

Default User said:
Both James and David should ashamed of themselves for dragging that
stuff in here. You both owe apologies to the newsgroup.
Brian

You seem very keen on telling people who owes apologies to who. And
thanks for waking up that thread.

Chris Hills

Keith Thompson said:
Chris Hills said:
The problem is that now the MS library is "official" they have started
to use official words like "depreciate" for anything else. This just
shows that a company in MS's position can subvert the standards
process.
[...]

I believe the word is "deprecate", not "depreciate".

Yes.. As usually my spalling is the problem...

Charlton Wilbur

CH> In article
CH> <[email protected]>,

CH> Yes it does.. Completely. I don't want to release any of my
CH> source under any circumstances.

The only circumstance under which gcc's GPL forces you to release
source is if it is source code for a patch to gcc (or another project
licensed under the GPL) that you are redistributing the binary for.

You *are* smart enough to have read and understood the GPL; why do you
believe FUD, and more importantly, why do you spread it?

Charlton

Harald van Dijk

Yes it does.. Completely. I don't want to release any of my source
under any circumstances.

So don't. It doesn't require you to, as you either know or should know
perfectly well.

I asked which compiler you were comparing it to. I'll ask now again: is
there a compiler that you recommend that allows you to do anything you
wouldn't be allowed with gcc?

jacob navia

Harald said:
So don't. It doesn't require you to, as you either know or should know
perfectly well.

I asked which compiler you were comparing it to. I'll ask now again: is
there a compiler that you recommend that allows you to do anything you
wouldn't be allowed with gcc?

Yes.
But I will not start a commercial advertisement here...

:)

jameskuyper

Default said:
Both James and David should ashamed of themselves for dragging that
stuff in here. You both owe apologies to the newsgroup.

Every step along the way, the "Taleban" aspect of this thread has been
off-topic.
I'm sorry Masood felt a need to bring the Taleban into this. I'm sorry
that Richard felt the need to claim that "Taleban" is no worse than
"Yank". I do feel that it was appropriate for me to respond to that
claim, but I couldn't figure out a way to respond accurately without
explaining a lot of seriously off-topic issues; I wish I could have.
When David Lauderdale responded, I would have preferred to answer him
by e-mail, but he hides behind an invalid e-mail address, so I
responded to the group.

I'd be more than happy to obey a moratorium on all politically charged
discussions; but the starting point of that in this case would have
been to use some metaphor with fewer violent connotations than
"Taleban" to describe C fundamentalists.