Many-to-Many :: seperate database or one database?

jason

Products ---> Products|Customer <--Customer

With regardst the above many-to-many relationship:

Is there any advantage in creating seperate access databases for:

- Customer
- Products

....Rather than keeping them as three tables in one database.

The reason I ask is that I have found that if I am using a ftp approach to
overwriting or updating the remote database there are sometimes problems
with synchronizing data .....This seems to be a better solution?

Am I off base?

- Jason

jason

Well, I have a pretty complicated Access-VBA application that I wish to
stream to the web. However, the main problem is building administration
pages which will be time consuming. I thus settled on the local-remote FTP
overwrite approach which currently allows the administrator to make changes
locally and then click a command button to overwrite the remote database.

But, supposing I need to adjust the (eg) PRODUCTS or CUSTOMER table. I
would first have to download the remote database which is collecting current
customers prior to making any changes to avoid losing some critical data.

Due to the fact that we are basing certain fields on an outside application
(eg Act!) which is currently going through flux I cannot be sure that the
remote version is the final, final respresentation of our business model....

There is probably a better way to do this (until I have my admin pages set
up) but that is what got me thinking that I should keep the primary tables -
tblCustomers & tblProducts - in seperate databases to facilitate further
changes to the system in the near future....

Bad idea?
- Jason

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

But, supposing I need to adjust the (eg) PRODUCTS or CUSTOMER table. I
would first have to download the remote database

WHY? Can you not issue an ALTER TABLE command?

Ray at

Aaron, if you happen to be a member of this group and happen to have 20
minutes to waste reading a really long argument about the method you're
suggesting, you may find this entertaining.

I'll summarize it though:
- Person had same desire, to be able to modify an Access database online.
- I suggested making an "online query analyzer" type of form where he could
issue "alter table" type commands.
- Some guy who is an "expert" freaked out and told me I was psychotic.
- We debated for a few days until being scolded by the moderator, who then
also jabbed at me. Nice!

So, I guess the only point to this post is that I'm saying a "me too" in the
recommendation to use what Aaron suggested.

Ray at work

Ray at

Ah, thank you TomB. I feel better too after hearing you have the same
opinions that I have. Yeah, I'm on that group, but I don't really pay much
attention to it. Practically all questions are answered by those same two
guys, and it's one of the few lists where people yell f**k and other such
words and it's not even blinked at. It's like the ASP list from the other
side of the tracks or something. ;] active-server-pages is a much much
better Yahoo group, and the owner of that list, Shawn, is a much nicer guy!

Thanks for taking the time to read that and making me smile with
satisfaction.

Ray at work

Dan Brussee

Products ---> Products|Customer <--Customer

With regardst the above many-to-many relationship:

Is there any advantage in creating seperate access databases for:

- Customer
- Products

...Rather than keeping them as three tables in one database.

The reason I ask is that I have found that if I am using a ftp approach to
overwriting or updating the remote database there are sometimes problems
with synchronizing data .....This seems to be a better solution?

You may wish to rething your priorities a bit. A basic admin solution
would seem to be the best thing you can do here. Spend the time to
make it work right - it will take less time in the long run.