    My thanks to Ben Bacarisse then.
    Sorry, sir. I don't read english so good and as soon as I see something
    like 'Life is too short to ...' or 'Op. is the root...' I skip the rest.

    qak, Sep 4, 2013

  2. qak

    Angel Guest

    He was basically asking why you are bothering with optimalizations that
    are really not worth the time and trouble. Unless you are writing code
    that has critical time requirements, it's better to just stick with the
    standard library functions and let the compiler optimize things for you.

    Angel, Sep 4, 2013

  3. It's "optimizations", not "optimalizations". (I don't usually point out
    spelling errors, but you're addressing someone whose first language
    apparently isn't English.)

    Keith Thompson, Sep 4, 2013
  4. (snip)
    An important point being that the compiler often does optimize them.

    Not just call a high-overhead function, many generate inline code.
    Exactly how optimal that inline code is, depends on the compiler.
    (And some probably still call a C function.)

    -- glen

    glen herrmannsfeldt, Sep 4, 2013
  5. qak

    Angel Guest

    Mine isn't, either. :)

    Angel, Sep 4, 2013
  6. (snip)
    I noticed, but, as with a previous discussion, didn't know if that
    was the right term in England English.

    -- glen

    glen herrmannsfeldt, Sep 4, 2013
  7. It's "optimizations" in US English, "optimisations" in UK English.

    (Let's not have a debate about which one is better.)

    Keith Thompson, Sep 4, 2013
  8. I think it's more accurate to say that it's both in UK English. If
    there is any difference it seems to be the 's' form is preferred in more
    recent writing (but that's not an expert opinion).

    <snip>

    Ben Bacarisse, Sep 5, 2013