Matlab, GUIs and Cygwin

Jay Eichelberger

Greetings.
I am using Python under Cygwin.
I'm trying to do some statistical charts.
The Matlab looked likely, but it uses GTK.
Does anyone know if Cygwin limits me to TCL/tk, X11?

I've done motif before on Unix, but I'm new to Python/cygwin/windows.
Any suggestions?

Should I go the route that 'renders' in a jpg file that be included in
html??

Thanks,
Jay

John Hunter

Jay> Greetings. I am using Python under Cygwin. I'm trying to do
Jay> some statistical charts. The Matlab looked likely, but it
Jay> uses GTK.

matplotlib *used* to require GTK, but not since version 0.2. Note
however, that matplotlib with GTK runs great under windows and is an
easy install. See the Win32 Quickstart Guide at
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/installing.html.

Also, Jeremy O'Donoghue has implemented the matplotlib wx backend, so
you can also use it with wxpython on windows or linux. There is a
development version of the wx backend in the current matplotlib-0.32
version on the sourceforge site, which isn't complete but is working
pretty well. I expect there will be a complete implementation of the
wx backend in about 2 weeks.

Just out of curiosity: I use python on win32 a lot and prefer to
either use the python.org win installer or the enthought edition of
python for windows (which has wx as well as a number of other goodies
preinstalled). Is there a reason you need to be using cygwin for your
python stuff?

Cheers,
John Hunter