Measuring a string of text

Reaction score
Hi, first of all I know absolutely nothing about coding but I am having someone build a website for me and I was hoping I could send him this thread if anyone has anything that could work.
My website is going to have a custom sign section that my customers can select what length of sign that they'd like and then type their text. The letters can be a minimum of 4cm tall (as in the smallest letter within a string of text can be a minimum of 4cm). As they type their text, the letters will get smaller to fit within the sign length (but no smaller than 4cm tall). If their length of text makes the letters smaller than 4cm then they would have to select the larger size of sign to have the letters fit. (The less letters there are, the taller the sign, the more letters there are, the shorter the sign).
I was told I need to measure each individual letter of each font to work out sizing for my website. It's taken months but I have now measured all of the letters in all of the fonts. I now need to measure how much each letter overlaps other letters when they are joined up, which I think will take even more time.
Does anyone know how this could all be worked out with coding instead of having to measure everything myself?
So basically, if 60cm is selected as the length of the sign that the customer would like, depending on the length and height of the letters, some signs may be able to have a maximum of 8 letters, other maybe 12 etc. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Reaction score
Actually, this is a job for the people making your website, not you. Also, the fonts you use to cut your stencils should have come with the information you need for the height-width ratio and the spacing at that size. It should be near or on the cutting machine.
I have ordered signs from websites in the past, and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

FYI: If the programmers can't do this get a different team. An easy way to do this is to contact a sign company with a website and ask who did theirs.

Ask a Question