Memory Leak with classic asp

Bill44077

Hi,

Anyone have any insights on how to debug a memory leak with a classic asp
application? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks!
Bill

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbDQ0MDc3?= wrote on 01 mrt 2006 in
Anyone have any insights on how to debug a memory leak with a classic
asp application? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Perhaps write a better script?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Bill44077 said:
Hi,

Anyone have any insights on how to debug a memory leak with a classic
asp application? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The people over at .inetserver.iis might be able to provide more assistance.
There's a tool called IISState that I often hear about ...

Bill44077

I wish :(

Seems I've inherited a classic asp application with several ten's of
thousands lines of code... with a memory leak... Bounds Checker only works
with managed code... and constructive insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Bill

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Bill44077 said:
Hi,

Anyone have any insights on how to debug a memory leak with a classic asp
application? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What exactly do you want to debug?
A COM component?
Or just script?
What language?

Bill44077

Thanks Bob - I'll give it a try!

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bill44077

It's kind of a combination of things including

classic asp with vb script using a sql db
a couple more recent written vb.net and c# components

At this point we have no idea where the memory leak is occuring - although
it seemed to have appeared when the app was migrated from W2k to W2k3. We've
talked about running in IIS5.0 compatibility mode to see if the problem goes
away. But it could be load related.

thanks,
Bill

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Bill44077 said:
It's kind of a combination of things including

classic asp with vb script using a sql db
a couple more recent written vb.net and c# components

At this point we have no idea where the memory leak is occuring - although
it seemed to have appeared when the app was migrated from W2k to W2k3.
We've
talked about running in IIS5.0 compatibility mode to see if the problem
goes
away. But it could be load related.

If you want to debug manually, (with step-trace) you can attach visual
studio to W3WP.exe, the correct process that hosts your site.

put source code and .pdb files in your website as well.

Just put some
System.Diagnostics.Debugger.Break(); statements in components that you want
to view.

But the best way, is to test components one by one. How? Have one classic
asp run one c# component and run it using a http load emulator.

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbDQ0MDc3?= wrote on 02 mrt 2006 in

[please do not toppost on usenet]
I wish :(

Seems I've inherited a classic asp application with several ten's of
thousands lines of code... with a memory leak... Bounds Checker only
works with managed code... and constructive insight would be greatly
appreciated.

I do not think ASP pages should have that many lines,
so my idea still stands.

Try to devide the problem, giving the user intermediate results.

And look for unnecessary repeats, string concatenations and executions in
loops.

Perhaps the amount of memory needed runs out?

Then set breakpoints:

debug = true
if debug then response.write "bp 17: " & a &" " & b : response.end