[META] News server that carries comp.lang.c

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

I've gone through the list of free news servers that are regularly
posted to comp.lang.c but none of them gave me access to comp.lang.c.
They all had newsgroups starting with "special.*" and "welcome.*".

Anyone know a freely accessible news server that carries
comp.lang.c, and that allows both reading and posting?

Also can anyone suggest a good newsreader program for Linux; it
seems they're all shite, but which is the least shite one? I've got
Pan at the moment.

Richard

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I've gone through the list of free news servers that are regularly
posted to comp.lang.c but none of them gave me access to comp.lang.c.
They all had newsgroups starting with "special.*" and "welcome.*".

Anyone know a freely accessible news server that carries
comp.lang.c, and that allows both reading and posting?

Also can anyone suggest a good newsreader program for Linux; it
seems they're all shite, but which is the least shite one? I've got
Pan at the moment.

Motzarella for the server.

http://motzarella.org/

Some fools will accuse you of wanting to spam no doubt because its
for free. I use it because its free and good. I used individual.net for
the paltry sum of 10 dollars a year for a while but forgot to renew
after my visa card changed. Why bother? Your ISP should provide usenet
but often they dont. As for the other claim of "nameless", sod them. I
wouldn't want half the loonies on usenet knowing my address.

You can use the usual Mozilla garbage for a news reader or KNode or SLRN
or Gnus (harder but the best) or .... there are loads.

http://kontact.kde.org/knode/
http://www.slrn.org/
http://www.sff.net/help/setup/TbirdNews.asp

Like everything you get what you pay for (in terms of effort).

Kaz Kylheku

I've gone through the list of free news servers that are regularly
posted to comp.lang.c but none of them gave me access to comp.lang.c.
They all had newsgroups starting with "special.*" and "welcome.*".

Did you register and account and then properly authenticate your NNTP
connection to the server?

See, that problem occurs on some servers if connect without authenticating.
Your reader can still interact with the server, but doesn't have access to the
full list of newsgroups.
Anyone know a freely accessible news server that carries
comp.lang.c, and that allows both reading and posting?

Freely accessible doesn't mean that you can just connect to their port 119 and
start posting!

Stephen Sprunk

Kaz said:
Freely accessible doesn't mean that you can just connect to their port 119 and
start posting!

That depends whether you mean free-as-in-speech or free-as-in-beer.

Kaz Kylheku

That depends whether you mean free-as-in-speech or free-as-in-beer.

No, it doesn't actually. Neither free-as-in-speech or free-as-in-beer implies
that there must be no protocol involving the registration and use of an
account.

Free does not mean ``available for instant, unauthenticated access''. A better
word for that is ``open'', as in ``open SMTP relay''. I've never heard of an
open relay being called ``freely accessible''.

CBFalconer

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
I've gone through the list of free news servers that are regularly
posted to comp.lang.c but none of them gave me access to comp.lang.c.
They all had newsgroups starting with "special.*" and "welcome.*".

Anyone know a freely accessible news server that carries
comp.lang.c, and that allows both reading and posting?

Also can anyone suggest a good newsreader program for Linux; it
seems they're all shite, but which is the least shite one? I've
got Pan at the moment.

I suspect you are suffering from operator error. What servers did
you access? Were they included in the following list? Try
Thunderbird, from mozilla.com, as the newsreader.

Some free news servers. I use motzarella and gmane.
<http://www.teranews.com> (1 time charge) (free)
<http://news.aioe.org> (free)
<http://dotsrc.org> (free)
<http://www.x-privat.org/international.php> (free)
<http://motzarella.org/?language=en> (free)
<http://dotsrc.org/usenet/>(via://dotsrc.org/usenet/)(free)
<http://gmane.org/> (mail-lists via news) (free)
<http://www.newsfeeds.com/signup.htm> (pay)
<http://www.individual.net/ (low pay)

Kaz Kylheku

Some free news servers. I use motzarella and gmane.
<http://www.teranews.com> (1 time charge) (free)

Incidentally, Teranews sent me e-mail to assure me they don't suck anymore,
on my two issues:

1. The e-mail claims states that the issue of posted articles randomly
disappearing (and sometimes reappearing after days, sometimes not)
was caused by some filtering software that they have disabled.

2. The e-mail further claims that they no longer attach their spamvertizement
line to the bottom of each posting.

CBFalconer

Kaz said:
Incidentally, Teranews sent me e-mail to assure me they don't suck
anymore, on my two issues:

1. The e-mail claims states that the issue of posted articles
randomly disappearing (and sometimes reappearing after days,
sometimes not) was caused by some filtering software that they
have disabled.

2. The e-mail further claims that they no longer attach their
spamvertizement line to the bottom of each posting.

I also got an e-mail, but it didn't mention either of the two
improvements you detail. Maybe I should take another look.
Motzarella seems to get awfully busy at times.

Kaz Kylheku

I also got an e-mail, but it didn't mention either of the two
improvements you detail.

That's because I sent an e-mail in response to that first e-mail in
which I cited the issues due to which I don't use Teranews. :)

August Karlstrom

Golden said:
FYI news.aioe.org is down and has been so over a month.

Since it happened I have been using news.motzarella.org and so far it
has worked flawlessly.

August

lawrence.jones

Kaz Kylheku said:
Incidentally, Teranews sent me e-mail to assure me they don't suck anymore,

Interesting -- I've never gotten *any* response to the problem reports I've
sent them, including the one from just a week ago where the pay server
wasn't allowing me to post. Switching to the free server allowed me to
post, but the articles seem to have just vanished into the aether. In
short, I think they still suck.

CBFalconer

August said:
Since it happened I have been using news.motzarella.org and so
far it has worked flawlessly.

My only objection is that it periodically becomes highly busy for a
while, and it may take a minute or two to transfer a message, or to
receive one.