microsoft jet database engine cannot open the file

snazzy

I have created an web application using Visual Studio 2008. The application
works OK in Debug. However it does not work after publish. The following
message appers "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file
'\\192.168.0.2\Test\Test.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another
user or you need permission to view its data".

Daniel Crichton

snazzy wrote on Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:07:01 -0800:
I have created an web application using Visual Studio 2008. The
application works OK in Debug. However it does not work after
publish. The following message appers "The Microsoft Jet database
engine cannot open the file '\\192.168.0.2\Test\Test.mdb'. It is
already opened exclusively by another user or you need permission to
view its data".

Either another user has the mdb file open in exclusive mode, or the user
account the web page is running under doesn't have permission to read the
file.

As you're using Visual Studio 2008, are you using ASP.NET? If so, this is
the wrong group, this is for "classic" ASP. Try
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet instead.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

snazzy said:
I have created an web application using Visual Studio 2008. The
application works OK in Debug. However it does not work after
publish. The following message appers "The Microsoft Jet database
engine cannot open the file '\\192.168.0.2\Test\Test.mdb'. It is
already opened exclusively by another user or you need permission to
view its data".

It's the same answer regardles of whether it's classic ASP or ASP.Net:
All users of an Access database require Modify permissions for the folder
containing the database file. If not, multi-user activity will not be
allowed.