The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jas, Dec 15, 2009.

  1. Jas

    Jas Guest

    Hi we have a project that is running fin on the server itself under the admin
    account and also on the developper computer but soon as we are trying to
    access it from another computer in the network we are getting The Microsoft
    Jet database engine cannot open the file.

    The mdb file is located on a shared drive \\server\public$\foldername

    I added everyone to the foldername security doesn't fixed the probem

    we added the line <identity impersonate="true"/> in the web.config doesn't
    fixed the problem

    The Authenticated access is setup for Intergrated Windows authentication adn
    we are not using the anonymous so it's unchecked.

    When I'm displaying the user that gets windowsidentity it's my
    domainname\username so it's really working the way it should.

    I'm a member of the domain admin group so I have full access everywhere and
    still doesn't work and either a regulare user. Still have the Microsoft Jet
    database engine error.

    Does someone have another idea?

    We really need to keep it as an access database for now and the file need to
    stay on the other shared server.

    Thanks in advance for any ideas,

    Jason

    Jas, Dec 15, 2009

  2. Jas

    Patrice Guest

    Hi,

    You have also permissions on the network public$ share itself. Have you
    checked those ?

    Usually using the
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx procmon tool
    will trace filesystem calls and allows to see why it fails (for example I
    found once that a driver wanted to create a temporary file).

    Patrice, Jan 25, 2010