midi input

Will Hurt

hiya,

can you tell me of a python module available for linux which allows me
to access midi i/o data. ie i want to get hold of raw midi input coming
in from an external controller. ive managed to get the controller
configured under alsa-midi. if possible could you also give me some
example code on how to do this.

thanks in advance

will

kpp9c

http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/pythonmidi

mxm rocks!

i used to use it this to create midi files so i know it works... but
now it has grown to big for my small brain, & have no clue how to
actually use it... i keep hoping for a small tutorial and some more
docs...., this partially due to the bizarre mysteries and dark science
of the midi file format and how it actually works with time. I would
love to be able to use this again... I just need to figure out how to
change real human time into something that midi can use.

If i could specify a tempo base (tempo of say 60)
and have it go up a scale in quarter notes or something.. i could maybe
figure it out from there. I just want to be able to specify notes like
csound or something does:

start_time, duration, freq

etc....

but i think that this also will do realtime stuff and you can
monitor/filter/pipe incoming midi data as well. I just don't know how
to do that either....

another possibility is to look at csound
or cmix
or pd
or supercollider

all of which are free, mostly open source, and available on linux

good luck on your quest!