MIDI message sending and receiving, MID file manipulation

Passiday

Hello,

I'd like to experiment with Python, connecting my Linux PC with MIDI
device (standard synthesiser keyboard).

I am pretty new to the Python world, so the questions that crop up, I
assume, could be pretty basic to someone who had spent some time with
it.

So, here comes:
1) Is everything what could be done with Python in some IDE (Eclipse
for me), can be accomplished in the interactive console? I mean,
perhaps Python could be used just as programming language and compiled
in binary code, thus allowing access to some binary libraries what
might not be accessible from within the interpreter.
2) Is there a way how to run Python script in event-driven mode, ie,
run the script, it registers some function as keyboard event handler,
and then calls that function whenever I press any key. Is such
behaviour possible in the interactive mode? Since I want to test the
MIDI message exchange, having a function sitting on the timer event is
what I'll need for playback, and an event that is triggered by
incoming MIDI message for recording.
3) Of course, I need some Python module to actually get this MIDI
communication happen. Sending and receiving MIDI messages to and from
my MIDI device.
4) As for manipulating the MIDI files in Python, I have searched up
this: http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/pythonmidi However, this lib
doesn't try to provide actual communication with MIDI device.