Missing sqlite3.h Error when Building Debug Python -- Windows Vista

Bev in TX

I am a complete newbie at building Python. I am trying to build it
under MS Windows Vista (64-bit AMD) with MS VS2005. I'm doing that
because I need debug libraries, which I did not see in the standard
distribution.

I downloaded the source and found the MSVS8 solution/project files.
However, when I tried to build it I got the following error:

....\python-2.5.2\modules\_sqlite\connection.h(33) : fatal error C1083:
Cannot open include file: 'sqlite3.h': No such file or directory

I searched on the web, and at one place it said I would just need to
download sqlite3.h from sqlite.org. I looked around there, but I
could not find the source for sqlite 3.3.4. I went back and reread
the PCbuild8\readme.txt file, and it mentions using the following
command to download the sqlite:

svn export http://svn.python.org/projects/external/sqlite-source-3.3.4

Do I really need to get the whole thing, or will just sqlite3.h
resolve the build problem. As far as I know, I don't really need
sqlite. If I do need to execute that svn command, how do I execute
that under MS Windows?

Or is there some other way in which to circumvent this error?

Thanks,
Bev in TX

Tim Golden

Bev said:
I am a complete newbie at building Python. I am trying to build it
under MS Windows Vista (64-bit AMD) with MS VS2005. I'm doing that
because I need debug libraries, which I did not see in the standard
distribution.

I'll leave others to comment on whether or not
it's expected to build with VS2005, but the easiest
way to get a debug build is to pretend to be a buildbot.

1) Check out the python source into, say, c:\dev\python

svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk c:\dev\python

2) Switch to that directory

cd \dev\python

3) Pretend to be a buildbot

tools\buildbot\build

This will checkout all the necessary sources into, in my
example, c:\dev. It will then run all the build steps
necessary to get a debug build which will then be in

c:\dev\python\pcbuild\python_d.exe

TJG

Bev in TX

Thanks for letting me know about this. I installed Subversion and
tried to make the build work like that, but it fails.

1) I am building 64-bit on Vista, so I used build-amd64.bat instead of
build.bat.

2) build-amd64.bat was setup to use MSVS 9.0, while I am using MSVS
8.0. Also, some of the BATCH programs incorrectly added a backslash
after the %VS90COMNTOOLS% environment variable. I corrected those to
use %VS80COMNTOOLS%, without the backslash.

3) It then complained about incompatible solution/project files, so I
modified build-amd64.bat to use the solution/project files in pc\vs8.0
instead of pcbuild.

4) It now has errors/warnings like:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include
\prsht.h(531) : error C2016: C requires that a struct or union has at
least one member
c1 : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '..\..\..
\db-4.4.20\common\zerofill.c': No such file or directory
xa_map.c
4>..\..\Python\getargs.c(319) : warning C4244: 'function' : conversion
from 'Py_ssize_t' to 'int', possible loss of data

So I don't see how the amd64-bit builds are working out of the box on
MS Windows Vista, and I may have made some error when changing the
build files.

I'd appreciate any other thoughts ...

Bev in TX

Tim Golden

Bev said:
Thanks for letting me know about this. I installed Subversion and
tried to make the build work like that, but it fails.

[... snip problems ...]

I'm afraid I'm not using VS 2005, nor Vista, nor 64-bit,
so I hope someone else can help. If you don't get any take-up
here try the python-win32 list; there may be people there who
don't follow this (rather higher volume) list.

TJG