Mixing HTTP and HTTPS?

Dani

Hi!

I've seen many online stores which mix HTTP with HTTPS
Most of the times they go into HTTPS just before checkout
I have two questions:
1. What about session variables? You've gotta keep the user logged in and
his cart intact when you proceed to checkout... How is this done?
2. Do I have to have the server support SSL on the same application and go
to SSL on the same files? I'm asking this because many hosting services
offer a "one page hosting" for SSL, in case you want to do a checkout
page... But then there's a problem, the whole website's frame with images
and all must be kept there too, or a static HTML for all of that because you
obviously can't generate the whole page frame when this is a page seperate
from you application...

I guess the main question is number one...
Is there anything else important I have to know about working with SSL?

Thanks a lot!
Dan

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4355 (20090821) __________

http://www.eset.com