Modifing Default Font and Size When Visiting Web Sites.

Dennis M. Marks

I have run into a problem with the new Amtrak.com web site. It I set my
browser to use a larger font size, such as 14, the information
overflows out of the designed boxes. Should I expect a large commercial
web site to be able to handle any reasonable font and size set in my
preferences?

Other sites seem to handle a larger font size with no problems. Is this
just a design problem with Amtrak?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Dennis M. Marks:
I have run into a problem with the new Amtrak.com web site. It I
set my browser to use a larger font size, such as 14, the
information overflows out of the designed boxes.

http://amtrak.com/ redirects via JavaScript only to:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

...which is one of the worst pages I've looked at in quite a while (for
a commercial site).
Should I expect a large commercial web site to be able to handle
any reasonable font and size set in my preferences?

You should be able to expect that...
Other sites seem to handle a larger font size with no problems. Is
this just a design problem with Amtrak?

Definitely. I was surprised the W3C validator only shows 123 errors
in that HomePage.
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...ervlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage>