Month Later... Still no Audio?!?!

Guest

Hi all,
It's been so long now and i still can't get my asp.net site to record audio.
I need to let the users record directions from their mouse and save them to
the server. This HAS to be done from right on the web page... I can't use
Windows sound recorder or any other 3rd partie program... unless it can be
embed as an object or something, which would let me have full control over
the record, pause, stop play, functions...
It would be perfect if the code could be in ASP/VB script, or javascript...
but I'm thinking it probably has to be written in c++ or vb6 and then use it
as an object...
I have all the code in vb.net working find.. .is there anyway i could turn
that code into an object and embed that in the asp.net program...
Please help!!

Tampa.NET Koder

Or,
Since you already have the app working as a winforms app, you can create a
custom winform control with all this functionality and then embed/host the
control in IE. There are articles on this.

bruce barker

a .net control will not have enough permission to do this without the user
changing the security settings. also the user would have to install the .net
framework. you best bet is to write an activeX control in c++ (if you use
vb6, you will need to supply an installer to install the vb6 runtime)

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Or,
| Since you already have the app working as a winforms app, you can create a
| custom winform control with all this functionality and then embed/host the
| control in IE. There are articles on this.
|
| | > Hi all,
| > It's been so long now and i still can't get my asp.net site to record
| > audio.
| > I need to let the users record directions from their mouse and save them
| > the server. This HAS to be done from right on the web page... I can't
use
| > Windows sound recorder or any other 3rd partie program... unless it can
be
| > embed as an object or something, which would let me have full control
over
| > the record, pause, stop play, functions...
| > It would be perfect if the code could be in ASP/VB script, or
| > javascript...
| > but I'm thinking it probably has to be written in c++ or vb6 and then
use
| > it
| > as an object...
| > I have all the code in vb.net working find.. .is there anyway i could
turn
| > that code into an object and embed that in the asp.net program...
| > Please help!!
| > --
| > (e-mail address removed)

Kevin Spencer

You would need a client-side executable to do this, such as an ActiveX
control, Java applet, or embedded .Net wiondows form, in the browser.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Guest

I'm in real bad shape.. I didn't think I was that new to asp.net, but i think
i am.. i have no clue what all that version 1.x/2.0 stuff was, and the
embeding custom windorm controls sounds good but not having too much luck
finding anything..
would this allow me to group all my functions and timer controls for the
recorder in vb.net script, and make it into its on control which could be
embeded on the asp.net page?!

also, when embeding an object onto your page, where do you get that ClassID:
code, where it's that big long alphanumeric code...

Tampa.NET Koder

Hey..he asked how could it be done, so I gave him an option. Sooner or
later, he will see the issue that he will encounter. But Adam as posted
this question before within the past 2 weeks and we suggested that he try
these options.

bruce barker

what you want to do has nothing to do with asp.net, that is why its hard to
find a solution. you are looking for a broswer extension to add capability
to a browser that does not exists. for IE this is an active/x control, for
netscape/mozilla its a plugin.

note: this functionality is an inheritably not safe (can be abused by other
sites to spy on a user), and will require permissions not normally given to
a browser control. you must put code in it to lock down sending to you site,
and only allow hosting from a page originating from your site.

in msdn try:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/IE.asp

the .net solution would be a smart client, a winform app downloaded to the
client that the client uses. this solution requires the users have .net
installed, and will require permissions not normally given to a smart
client, but it would be the simplest approach if you do not know com and c++

if your users trust your site, you could use windows automation and client
script in the browser to do this also, once you picked the client app to be
installed to do the recording (pick one that allows automation).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)