more unique visitors than visitors

meltedown

If I visit your site and then come back 4 more times you should see one
Unique visit and 5 visits from me. So it is normal for the Visits to
exceed the Unique Visitors. But if the Unique visitors are more than the
Visits, how how did that happen ?

Andrew

If I visit your site and then come back 4 more times you should see one
Unique visit and 5 visits from me. So it is normal for the Visits to
exceed the Unique Visitors. But if the Unique visitors are more than the
Visits, how how did that happen ?

Hi,

Not sure about this one but....

Do you know how to catch a unique rabbit?

Andrew

Brian Cryer

meltedown said:
If I visit your site and then come back 4 more times you should see one
Unique visit and 5 visits from me. So it is normal for the Visits to
exceed the Unique Visitors. But if the Unique visitors are more than the
Visits, how how did that happen ?

What package are you using that reports more visitors than unique visitors?

Assuming that visitors are tracked by IP address then I can't see any
mechanism that would give you more unique visitors than visits. (As you
already know, the other way round is easy.) If you are using some custom
package that uses information other than IP address then I would suspect its
logic to be faulty.

Steve Pugh

meltedown said:
If I visit your site and then come back 4 more times you should see one
Unique visit and 5 visits from me. So it is normal for the Visits to
exceed the Unique Visitors. But if the Unique visitors are more than the
Visits, how how did that happen ?

How is your stats program defining a visit?

It may be that a visit is counted as only including visits to 'pages'
and if you have a lot of hot linking to images or other non-page files
then many of the unique visitors may not be making a 'visit' at all.

Steve

Jim Moe

meltedown said:
If I visit your site and then come back 4 more times you should see one
Unique visit and 5 visits from me. So it is normal for the Visits to
exceed the Unique Visitors. But if the Unique visitors are more than the
Visits, how how did that happen ?

You have almost no return visitors?

richard

meltedown said:
If I visit your site and then come back 4 more times you should see one
Unique visit and 5 visits from me. So it is normal for the Visits to
exceed the Unique Visitors. But if the Unique visitors are more than the
Visits, how how did that happen ?

Those extra unique visitors are only visiting one page then leaving.
If you have page visits, find out which page is being visited the most, the
numbers should nearly match.

meltedown

Jim said:
You have almost no return visitors?
In that case the unique and total visits will be equal. It doesn't
explain how Unique visits can exceed total visits.

Steve Pugh

richard said:
Those extra unique visitors are only visiting one page then leaving.
If you have page visits, find out which page is being visited the most, the
numbers should nearly match.

As ever, richard is talking rubbish.

A one page visit is still a visit so should be counted in the total
number of visits.

richard, in web analytics a visit is normally a visit to the site and
will include one or more page views. Even if it was a page view, how
could, for example, 100 people looking at 1 page each only add up to 70
page views?

It's conceivable but unlikely that the analytics software being used
has been configured to not count a one page visit as a visit. There may
be some cases where that's a valid analysis choice but it should not be
a default setting.

Steve