Capture visitors

Maxi

Hi! everybody!

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this question.
If not, suggest me the correct group.

I am a networker with good amount of friends whom I know who surf the
Internet/community websites. Looking at my strength my friends have
told me to promote their websites. I have created one single HTML page
and put five links which will take the visitors to their website. I am
not a programmer and have created a basic HTML page.

The current challenge what I am facing is to capture the data.

1. I want to know how many hits I get on my website and how many
clicks I get for each of the links out of the five. Statstics of
linkwise clicks.
2. My friends should also come to know that the redirection is coming
from my website.

Can anybody help me on this?

Evertjan.

Maxi wrote on 26 nov 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
Hi! everybody!

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this question.
If not, suggest me the correct group.

I am a networker with good amount of friends whom I know who surf the
Internet/community websites. Looking at my strength my friends have
told me to promote their websites. I have created one single HTML page
and put five links which will take the visitors to their website. I am
not a programmer and have created a basic HTML page.

The current challenge what I am facing is to capture the data.

1. I want to know how many hits I get on my website and how many
clicks I get for each of the links out of the five. Statstics of
linkwise clicks.
2. My friends should also come to know that the redirection is coming
from my website.

Can anybody help me on this?

Not using clientside Javascript.

Stevo

Maxi said:
Hi! everybody!

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this question.
If not, suggest me the correct group.

I am a networker with good amount of friends whom I know who surf the
Internet/community websites. Looking at my strength my friends have
told me to promote their websites. I have created one single HTML page
and put five links which will take the visitors to their website. I am
not a programmer and have created a basic HTML page.

The current challenge what I am facing is to capture the data.

1. I want to know how many hits I get on my website and how many
clicks I get for each of the links out of the five. Statstics of
linkwise clicks.
2. My friends should also come to know that the redirection is coming
from my website.

Can anybody help me on this?

You can do this by using tracking images. There are lots of free web
trackers out there. They give you an image tag to place on your (and
your friends) pages. You can ask for one tracker bug per page. You just
put that image tag(s) in your html page(s), and everytime someone
visits, the hit on that tracking image counts the visit. You can then
login to your tracker account and view your statistics. Some of them
show you where in the world your visitors come from, what time of day is
the peak and other stats. One of the stats some of them offer is the
referrer. So when your friends login to their tracking accounts and look
at their stats (for the tracking images they've put on their own pages)
they can see that you are the #1 referrer and it'll show how many
referrals. You won't need to pay, there are enough free ones around.

The one I used a few years back was http://www.nedstatbasic.net but I
haven't logged in for years and they seem to have been taken over. Don't
know if they're still free.

Maxi

That was really good information. Thanks

The problem is that my friends would not want to put extra information
like the image on their websites. Is there anyway for them to check
where the hit is coming from? Is there any kind of coding I can do
from my webpage for them to let them know that the hit is coming from
my website?

Instead of <A HREF= blah blah blah, can I put something which will
redirect and also serve my purpose?

Thanks

Evertjan.

Maxi wrote on 26 nov 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:
[Please do not toppost on usenet]
Can you tell me what should I use and where can I get help from?

You can easily do the with serverside script, where you can use a database
to count or store histe. With the storing you can store the apparent IP,
the apparent browser inetification string, the appatrent referral string,
etc.

I do this with ASP, bothe Jscript and VBscript,
but I trust it can also be done with PHP.

So ask your Q in a serverside NG,
after having studied a bit of such languages.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Maxi said:
I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this question.

The group FAQ, which you should have read before posting, clearly says *No*:

If not, suggest me the correct group.

You should have looked for comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc instead.
[...]
I am not a programmer and have created a basic HTML page.

This group, like other newsgroups in the comp.lang.* hierarchy, is about one
or more programming languages, though.
1. I want to know how many hits I get on my website

1. Avoid Web counters, which are typically triggered by tracking images.
They slow down your Web site considerably to begin with.[1]

2. Use Web statistics instead, programs that evaluate server log files,
like AWStats.
and how many clicks I get for each of the links out of the five.
Statstics of linkwise clicks.

That has to be evaluated at the link target because you cannot assume from
activation of the link that navigation to the target took place. IOW, your
friends have to set up a kind of Web statistics, too.
2. My friends should also come to know that the redirection is coming
from my website.

Since the HTTP-Referrer is unreliable, pass a parameter that identifies
you in the query part of the URI(s). Existing partner programs typically
use account IDs.
Can anybody help me on this?

Yes.

PointedEars
___________
[1] Yes, I am currently making that mistake on my private Web site because
I haven't had the opportunity to set up Web statistics there yet. Our
professional sites use AWStats, though.

Mike Duffy

1. Avoid Web counters,[1]

2. Use Web statistics instead

[1] Yes, I am currently making that mistake on my private Web site

It is not a "mistake". My private web-site uses a counter for one of the
pages, partly because my ISP does not offer the statistics you refer to
unless one pays a lot more for a "business" web site. There are probably a
lot of people in the same situation. It is just not worth it to pay extra
money for something just to satify my idle curiosity.

I am tempted though, just to increase my quota above 5 Mb. I sent them a
one cent piece in order to pay my share to double everyone's quota using
current HDD prices, but apparently the humour was lost on them. So they
will just have to live with the scathing comments about them at varous
places on my web-site.

roman

Mike said:
I am tempted though, just to increase my quota above 5 Mb. I sent them a
one cent piece in order to pay my share to double everyone's quota using
current HDD prices, but apparently the humour was lost on them. So they
will just have to live with the scathing comments about them at varous
places on my web-site.

Apparently giving someone exactly one cent (unless that amount is
required) is considered offensive in some places.

I can see their point - it's not about HDD prices.

Regarding the stats, Google Analytics works for me the best. Just put it
on the bottom of the document right before </body>, it tends to get busy
sometimes.

Mike Duffy

roman said:
giving someone exactly one cent ... is considered offensive

As opposed to giving someone once cent worth of disk space for a web site?

I can see their point - it's not about HDD prices.

What exactly is it about? If it's not about HDD prices then it would seem
to be relatively cheap (compared to their other costs) for them to raise
the quota.

I could understand it if they just dropped the service, due to too much
hassle / labour costs. Providing a quota identical to what the phone
company was offering 15 years ago makes them look really out of touch. HDD
cost / byte is at least a thousand times cheaper now.