Mouse-over an image -> play video instead of swap image?

Phillip Roncoroni

I want an image on mouse-over to fade to another image via a WMV video I
made. The GIF version is 2.1 megs, whereas the WMV is 144K, and I know I'll
probably be suggested to use Flash, but I hate Flash.

a) Instead of an image swap, can you have a WMV play on mouse-over? (and
then hold on the last frame by not doing the loop option)
b) What code would I use to pre-load the WMV on page load?
c) What code would I use to detect whether or not the browser can even play
a WMV9 file, and if not, then have it load an actual JPEG of the last frame
of the video instead on mouse-over?

Thanks in advance.

brucie

in post: <
Phillip Roncoroni said:
I want an image on mouse-over to fade to another image via a WMV video I
made. The GIF version is 2.1 megs, whereas the WMV is 144K, and I know I'll
probably be suggested to use Flash, but I hate Flash.

i believe flash would be the best solution in this case. KISS

brucie

in post: <
Thank you.
kissy

Is there a *non* Flash solution?

probably but there are too many things that could go wrong. flash would
work for the greatest number of people and without and problems.

Kris

i believe flash would be the best solution in this case. KISS

Is there a *non* Flash solution?[/QUOTE]

I doubt the all this is worth this effort. Is the effect really so
important? Is there not a better solution instead of a variation of the
solution you are after? That is, if coming to the conclusion that this
was needed in the first place was actually a carefully thought out plan,
instead of an artsy whim.

Explaining the situation and the goal may lead to interesting replies
explaining better alternatives to your solution.