MS_POSITIONING="flowlayout"

Kelly

Hi all -

I'm just wondering about something. I have been using gridlayout for my
project, but was recently told why flowlayout would be best (for my project
anyway). So, I went into the HTML and changed my MS_POSITIONING to
flowlayout, but the auto sizes, locations, and positions are still there for
my controls. I've saved it, closed and re-opened it, etc and none of this
has worked.

Know what I mean?

The body tag still says

so I'm not sure why the sizes, positions, locations, etc are still showing
up in my HTML.

Any ideas?

TIA!
-Kelly

Scott M.

Items that you have already placed on the form will not be affected by the
change of this setting. You must change their positions for them to conform
to the new setting. Any new controls you add will conform to the new
setting.

Kelly

Thanks, Scott!

PS. I changed my code to what you suggested (re: datagrids) yesterday and it
works great!

-Kelly

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

but was recently told why flowlayout would be best (for my project
Rubbish! Who told you so?
(that's actually what i was thinking, to put it politely)

Many uninformed developers rooted in ASP and HTML programming champion
flowmode while disparaging designmode. I'm sure you aren't one of them by
the way.

Scott M.

We are talking about FlowLayout vs. GridLayout, not flowmode vs. designmode
(2 different sets of things).

GridLayout (IMO) is definitely NOT the way to build up a UI. GridLayout
simply uses CSS Level 2 to absolutely position elements on the page. Now
there are exceptions to every rule, but I have never advocated building the
whole UI with absolutely positioned elements since when developing for the
Internet, we don't know the resolution and monitor sizes of the client. Not
to mention that absolute positioning is more difficult to design the layout
of the page with since it requires knowing the exact pixel sizes of
everything on the page.

FlowLayout, by contrast allows us to simply drop a table of a certain width
on that page and work within that width boundary. Now, getting back to the
exception for every rule....If I have something I need to absolutely
position, I can still do it for that one control without switching the
entire page into GridLayout.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Kelly said:
Hi all -

I'm just wondering about something. I have been using gridlayout for my
project, but was recently told why flowlayout would be best (for my
project
anyway). So, I went into the HTML and changed my MS_POSITIONING to
flowlayout, but the auto sizes, locations, and positions are still there
for
my controls. I've saved it, closed and re-opened it, etc and none of this
has worked.

Know what I mean?

The body tag still says

so I'm not sure why the sizes, positions, locations, etc are still
showing
up in my HTML.

Any ideas?

TIA!
-Kelly

Scott M.

Oh, and by the way, I would consider myself an extremely well informed
developer with many many years of practical
experience. :)

Kelly said:
Hi all -

I'm just wondering about something. I have been using gridlayout for my
project, but was recently told why flowlayout would be best (for my
project
anyway). So, I went into the HTML and changed my MS_POSITIONING to
flowlayout, but the auto sizes, locations, and positions are still there
for
my controls. I've saved it, closed and re-opened it, etc and none of this
has worked.

Know what I mean?

The body tag still says

so I'm not sure why the sizes, positions, locations, etc are still
showing
up in my HTML.

Any ideas?

TIA!
-Kelly

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

I concur 100%. GridLayout is deceptively evil, and I wish Microsoft
hadn't made it the default in Visual Studio .NET 2002/2003. I teach
about six ASP.NET courses during the course of the year, and the number
one thing that developers coming from a WinForms background do is become
wed to GridLayout.

By the time they come to my class, some of the #1 questions are:

* Why does the control I put beneath my DataGrid become covered up by
my DataGrid when it has too many items?
* My users are complaining because they have to horizontally scroll,
how do I fix this?
* I have a user with an older browser version, and the page looks like
junk. What's wrong with ASP.NET, why won't it work for older browsers?

etc., etc.

Now, I believe once we have Longhorn with a significant marketshare, and
the Web moves from the current HTML markup to a richer, UI-focused
markup, then the GridLayout concept will work great, and be the de facto
way to create Web pages. But with the current technologies, GridLayout
causes more pain among new developers than not.

--

Scott Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Oh, and by the way, I would consider myself an extremely well informed
developer with many many years of practical
experience. :)
I'm not, i will graduate this year and start looking for work in the real
world for the first time.

I was paying enough attention to catch your implication that experienced
developers use flow!

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Kelly said:
[...]

I've spent countless hours arguing the EVILS of flow so i won't go over it
here - feel free to google for it.
At the end of the day, nobody has changed sides.And it is a bitter debate.
The default for whidbey is flow and i will be fighting tooth and nail to get
it back to grid - the way it should be.
GridLayout is deceptively evil,
That's what i mean by disparaging remarks. It's an option in the IDE, learn
to use it properly.
If it didn't have a bona fide use, it would not be included - it wouldn't
even be the default in two released versions.
That by itself should be meaningful in and of itself.

* Why does the control I put beneath my DataGrid become covered up by
my DataGrid when it has too many items?
* My users are complaining because they have to horizontally scroll,
how do I fix this?
* I have a user with an older browser version, and the page looks like
junk. What's wrong with ASP.NET, why won't it work for older browsers?

All these concerns have extremely easy fixes that I trust you are imparting
as a responsible and objective teacher.
But you did hit the nail on the head. Windows programmers stick to grid,
HTML and ASP programmers stick to flow. And there are very little
backsliders.

My take is that the web has evolved from simple web submission forms to
complex applications that run in a browser - functionally equivalent to a
windows application in a browser.
For that type of programming, gridlayout is a must. For all other options,
use gridlayout (that's not a typo either).

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Kelly said:
[...]

Just because something exists as an option, doesn't mean it isn't a
feature that will cause more harm than good.
If it didn't have a bona fide use, it would not be included - it wouldn't
even be the default in two released versions.
That by itself should be meaningful in and of itself.

Agreed, but there are things that cause more harm than good, regardless
of if they are options. For example, Option Explicit does not need to
be included in a VBScript/old school VB program, but should be, always,
and shouldn't have to be added to be included, agreed?
* Why does the control I put beneath my DataGrid become covered up by
my DataGrid when it has too many items?
* My users are complaining because they have to horizontally scroll,
how do I fix this?
* I have a user with an older browser version, and the page looks like
junk. What's wrong with ASP.NET, why won't it work for older browsers?

All these concerns have extremely easy fixes that I trust you are imparting
as a responsible and objective teacher.

Naturally. I show them the workaround, and then encourage them to
explore FlowLayout in more depth. With my students, I find that it's
ignorance that makes them hesitant to switch. They come from a non-Web
background, so they are not familiar with using <DIV>s, <table>s, or
other HTML elements to position content. This is all fine and good, but
the point is my experience of people who are proponents of Grid over
Flow are those who don't have a firm grasp on laying out a page without
absolute positioning. I believe in an earlier comment in this thread
you mentioned you had some good reasons for using Grid over Flow, I'd be
interested in hearing them.
My take is that the web has evolved from simple web submission forms to
complex applications that run in a browser - functionally equivalent to a
windows application in a browser.

We're getting there, yes, but HTML is not going to be the markup to take
us there, XAML will. So I agree that GridLayout will be very important
in the future, but right now I find it to be substandard.
For that type of programming, gridlayout is a must. For all other options,
use gridlayout (that's not a typo either).

I take it you are developing your Web apps on an intranet, where the
browser is guaranteed? Do you still promote GridLayout when you know
you'll have visitors who, for example, might be coming from 2nd world
nations or universtities, where they might not be using the latest and
greatest browsers?

--

Scott Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com

Scott M.

GridLayout is deceptively evil,
That's what i mean by disparaging remarks. It's an option in the IDE,
learn to use it properly.

Actually, you can only change it on a project by project basis.
If it didn't have a bona fide use, it would not be included - it wouldn't
even be the default in two released versions.
That by itself should be meaningful in and of itself.

You mean in the same way that the validation controls only work in IE
because the use the MS DHTML model, rather than the W3C DOM?
* Why does the control I put beneath my DataGrid become covered up by
my DataGrid when it has too many items?
* My users are complaining because they have to horizontally scroll,
how do I fix this?
* I have a user with an older browser version, and the page looks like
junk. What's wrong with ASP.NET, why won't it work for older browsers?

All these concerns have extremely easy fixes that I trust you are
imparting as a responsible and objective teacher.

Yes, the fix is to use FlowLayout.
But you did hit the nail on the head. Windows programmers stick to grid,
HTML and ASP programmers stick to flow. And there are very little
backsliders.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong on this one. Most VS.NET newbies think
that Grid vs. Flow layout is a .NET thing. Experience web developers know
that is is an HTML vs. CSS Level 2 thing. Most of the experienced web
developers I know, know to only use absolute positioning for an element here
and an element there, not the whole UI.
My take is that the web has evolved from simple web submission forms to
complex applications that run in a browser - functionally equivalent to a
windows application in a browser.
For that type of programming, gridlayout is a must. For all other options,
use gridlayout (that's not a typo either).

Your assesment makes no sense! The web *was* where complex applications ran
in a browser and it still is. Form submissions are not relevant to this
discussion.
--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

You hit the nail on the head with this statement!! I own and operate an IT
training company myself and have been teaching web development (as well as
doing commercial web development) for over 10 years and completely agree
that if you know and understand good page layout and page design (as well as
understand the pitfalls of CSS Level 2), you would not use it for the
complete page UI. Now, don't misunderstand me here, absolute positioning
has its place, but that place isn't building the total UI using it.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I take it you are developing your Web apps on an intranet, where the
browser is guaranteed?

Yes, i do develop on intranets where the browser is guaranteed IE. But
that's because the application
functionality that our customers require can only be found in IE browsers.
Do you still promote GridLayout when you know you'll have visitors who, for
example, might be coming from 2nd world nations or universtities,

Yes. Because i know how to fix the cross browser formatting issues so i am
not boxed in to using flowlayout.
I am free to use whatever I want. At that moment, it is gridlayout.

I am not talking off the top of my head. I am currently building an internet
commerce site open to all browsers and I am running into brick walls
with the front-end guy who is an HTML tables and flowmode oldschool guy
exhibiting what i term as grid prejudice.
I've downloaded 4 different browsers and set my default browser to firefox
to conclusively prove to this guy that there are no cross compatibility
issues,
still he set in his ways. But i convinced his boss who allowed me to go
ahead with my approach.
The days of building a page with a whole bunch of HTML tables
flowing all over the place is no longer necessary for cross browser
compatibility.
where they might not be using the latest and greatest browsers?
This is my position. If you are a customer who isn't running an up-level
browser, I am not interested in your business.

I'll concede that the only thing i've found that flow is good for is screen
resolution issues. Now, the applications built with gridlayout mode
we will be problematic for the visually impaired since their resolutions
will cause a HUGE mess on screen. Also, users who are prone to
adjust their browser text size to the extreme settings may be mildly
affected by gridlayout.
For example, Option Explicit does not need to be included in a VBScript/old
school VB program, but should be, always, and shouldn't have to be added to
be included, agreed? Agreed.

you mentioned you had some good reasons for using Grid over Flow, I'd be
interested in hearing them.
My page is lighter, so it loads faster. Gridlayout co-ordinate calculations
is based on integer math. This is faster than loading
extra tables, divs, and other html elements whose only purpose is screen
layering. We do still have people using dial-up and our
applications should cater to them. I know you have seen those pages with
tables inside of tables inside of divs inside of tables...
Have you stopped to consider how heavy that page is to load?

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I own and operate an IT training company myself and have been teaching web
development (as well as doing commercial web development) for over 10 years
I did not call your experience into question.
Now, don't misunderstand me here, absolute positioning has its place, but
that place isn't building the total UI using it.

On the contrary, I prefer not to box myself in to using one approach when
other approaches
offer the same, or even added benefits.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You mean in the same way that the validation controls only work in IE
because the use the MS DHTML model, rather than the W3C DOM?
Well, now that is a Microsoft implementation issue right?
Yes, the fix is to use FlowLayout.
That is only one solution. The other solution is to adjust the web config
file so it renders the correct HTML to all browsers.
You do realize that this cross browser issue was exacerbated by Microsoft's
poor implementation
of the HTML rendering process - a situation that is remedied in whidbey -
right?
Most of the experienced web developers I know, know to only use absolute
positioning for an element here and an element there, not the whole UI.
Yes, and most windows programmers who have moved to the web know it the
other way around.
You aren't going to discredit them by imposing your own agenda right? Like
it or not, windows programmers
are moving to the web in droves - that is the impetus behind .NET.
My position is that they are free to use whatever tools they think can get
the job done on
budget and on schedule and within the bounds of customer satisfaction.
If that means using flowlayout, then by all means, flow. If it means using
gridlayout, then grid.

Notice that i do not force my gridlayout position compared to your forcing
flowlayout, i simply leave it as an option because impositions
always tend to stifle creativity and slow forward movement.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Scott M. said:
[...]

I never said you did.
On the contrary, I prefer not to box myself in to using one approach when
other approaches
offer the same, or even added benefits.

Then you should consider the approach I'm describing... FlowLayout for most
of the page, Absolute Positioning when needed. Using GridLayout for
everything actually limits the end result possibilities.

Scott M.

This has been my point all along and is why FlowLayout is the better choice.
The only situation where GridLayout wouldn't cause the issues above is where
the monitor size, screen resolution and browser options are locked down.
That is pretty rare. Even in corporate intranets, the monitor size and
screen resolutions vary.

Scott M.

Well, now that is a Microsoft implementation issue right?

You said if the feature was there, it must have value. Validation controls
are there, but they have no client-side value if you aren't using MS IE.
So, just because a feature is there, doesn't make it the best choice to use.
That is only one solution. The other solution is to adjust the web config
file so it renders the correct HTML to all browsers.
You do realize that this cross browser issue was exacerbated by
Microsoft's poor implementation
of the HTML rendering process - a situation that is remedied in whidbey -
right?

It's not a cross-browser issue at all. It's a screen resolution and browser
text size setting issue. You do realize that right (rhetorical question
since you've agreed to this is a previous post in this thread)?

Yes, and most windows programmers who have moved to the web know it the
other way around.
You aren't going to discredit them by imposing your own agenda right? Like
it or not, windows programmers are moving to the web in droves - that is
the impetus behind .NET.

These were not my comments in the first place so I have nothing to add here.
You have confused the posts of Scott Mitchell with me: Scott M. (not the
same Scott).
My position is that they are free to use whatever tools they think can get
the job done on
budget and on schedule and within the bounds of customer satisfaction.
If that means using flowlayout, then by all means, flow. If it means using
gridlayout, then grid.

Notice that i do not force my gridlayout position compared to your forcing
flowlayout, i simply leave it as an option because impositions
always tend to stifle creativity and slow forward movement.

Well, you've been pretty adamant that GridLayout is the way to go. On the
other hand, I have said that there is a place for absolute positioning. My
comments have nothing to do with .NET (since this isn't a .NET issue) and
have everything to do with good UI design. Because monitor size, resolution
size and text size can't be known for the client, GridLayout is very
dangerous to use. That's not an opinion, it is a fact (and you've agreed in
an earlier post in this thread). Given that information, how can you
seriously say that building the whole UI in GridLayout is the better
approach for most UI development?!

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

an earlier post in this thread). Given that information, how can you
seriously say that building the whole UI in GridLayout is the better
approach for most UI development?!

Never did say that. I said it was an option. You argue it should be used
here and there.
But your argument is not convincing. The large majority of desktops run a
standard size screen resolution with just
a few clients running outside that range. So using that as an argument to
justify flowlayout doesn't cut it.
The vast majority of desktops use 800x600 thru 1280x1024. Gridlayout works
just fine in these modes.
So build your applications with that setting in mind and test for that
resolution range.
That is why internet sites sometimes have a recommended resolution setting.

I have used GridLayout for ALL my UI development in the few days that I have
been developing web applications.
I have not had any problems with different browsers or resolution settings
that I could not quickly adjust in code.
I build web applications that compete for and replace windows desktop
applications.
These customers require their interface to look and behave exactly like a
windows application in form
and function. If they shrink the browser size for instance, they don't want
to see a server control flow to the next line.
It doesn't do that in windows desktop and that is exactly their expectation.
Until these
customer requirements change, that is what i will be giving the customer.
It's their money and their product.
You have to take all that into consideration before you go blindly saying
that FlowLayout is the best for most
UI development because different problem domains require different options.

Scott M.

Actually, you DID say that (you said the following):

"I'll concede that the only thing i've found that flow is good for is screen
resolution issues. Now, the applications built with gridlayout mode
we will be problematic for the visually impaired since their resolutions
will cause a HUGE mess on screen. Also, users who are prone to
adjust their browser text size to the extreme settings may be mildly
affected by gridlayout."

....And guess what? These issues (resolution & text size) are applicable to
absolutely EVERY web application built. They are not exceptions to the
rule, they are the rule.
But your argument is not convincing. The large majority of desktops run a
standard size screen resolution with just
a few clients running outside that range. So using that as an argument to
justify flowlayout doesn't cut it.

Wow are you mis-informed! LOL
The vast majority of desktops use 800x600 thru 1280x1024. Gridlayout works
just fine in these modes.
So build your applications with that setting in mind and test for that
resolution range.

800x600 thru 1280x1024 is a range. What you build (using GridLayout) for
one resolution will look very different in another. You don't build for a
range, you build for a specific resolution. That is how you approximate a
client application. Also, you can't really say that GridLayout works in one
mode or another...GridLayout works in ANY mode, the problem is when you are
in a different mode than the one that the app was designed for (which is the
whole point).
That is why internet sites sometimes have a recommended resolution
setting.

The popularity of that idea stopped about 5 years ago. Very few sites today
require a user to change their resolution to meet the UI. Again, this is
the whole point. As UI's have become more complex and technology has given
us more UI choices, we no longer need to have the user meet us, we can meet
the user.
I have used GridLayout for ALL my UI development in the few days that I
have been developing web applications.

What?!! You've only been doing web application work for a few days?!!!
OMG!!! Why are we even having this conversation then? You are putting up
positions that have been tried and tested for many years (by the web
community and myself as well) and basically telling us all that in the "few
days" that you have been doing web development you've somehow figured out
that we're wrong!?
I have not had any problems with different browsers or resolution settings
that I could not quickly adjust in code.
I build web applications that compete for and replace windows desktop
applications.
These customers require their interface to look and behave exactly like a
windows application in form

This has nothing to do with our conversation.
and function. If they shrink the browser size for instance, they don't
want to see a server control flow to the next line.

Who says that this will happen using FlowLayout mode?! A control wrapping
to the next line down is not a Grid vs. Flow issue at all. It's a matter of
knowing how to code HTML properly.
It doesn't do that in windows desktop and that is exactly their
expectation.

Again, this is irrelevant since it doesn't happen in FlowLayout mode either.
Until these
customer requirements change, that is what i will be giving the customer.
It's their money and their product.

And the sure do want to make sure that EVERYONE who uses their application
will experience the EXACT same UI. The GridLayout solution won't do that, a
properly designed FlowLayout will.
You have to take all that into consideration before you go blindly saying
that FlowLayout is the best for most
UI development because different problem domains require different
options.

Alvin, it is clear to me that you have very limited knowledge of HTML and
very limited experience in correctly testing the UI layer of a web
application. That's a dangerous place to be in if you want to defend a
position. If you had that experience it would be clear as day to you that
everything you have been saying is hogwash.

You keep bringing up your customer's wants and needs and how I am "blindly"
saying that FlowLayout is the way to go. The truth is that GridLayout
causes problems that must be overcome and FlowLayout prevents those problems
in the first place. So, they both can be used to accomplish the goal, BUT
FlowLayout will get you there faster and with less problems along the way.
I've also said that absolute positioning of particular controls here and
there (CSS Level 2), not to be confused with GridLayout mode (where ALL page
content is absolutely positioned using CSS Level 2) can be useful (when used
properly).

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and if you can get the job done
with GridLayout then "more power to you", but you may want to listen to the
advice of those who have been doing this for a decade or so and can clearly
look at both sides of this coin. You may even find that by taking some
advice, your job gets easier and your customers are happier.