MSVC 6.0 -- LNK1179(duplicate comdat) problem

Arkadiy Vertleyb

Hi all,

I have some complicated template code, which results in long symbol
names. At some point I started getting LNK1179 error. The decorated
name shown in this message contains exactly 256 characters.

From what I understand from MSVC documentation, the name limit is
2047, not 256 characters (although the number 256 surely attracts
one's attention). If I start playng with /H compiler option, the
other duplicate names popup (with the appropriate length, equal to one
given in /H option). As soon as I set the limit large enough, the
original one shows up with exactly 256 characters.

So, I assume this is more complicated than just truncating names due
to the size limit. If anybody could shed any light on this issue, I
would greatly appreciate this.

Thanks in advance,

Arkadiy

Victor Bazarov

Arkadiy Vertleyb said:
I have some complicated template code, which results in long symbol
names. At some point I started getting LNK1179 error. The decorated
name shown in this message contains exactly 256 characters.

From what I understand from MSVC documentation, the name limit is
2047, not 256 characters (although the number 256 surely attracts
one's attention). If I start playng with /H compiler option, the
other duplicate names popup (with the appropriate length, equal to one
given in /H option). As soon as I set the limit large enough, the
original one shows up with exactly 256 characters.

So, I assume this is more complicated than just truncating names due
to the size limit. If anybody could shed any light on this issue, I
would greatly appreciate this.

Compiler options and implementation-specific properties are
OT here. Try microsoft.public.vc.language newsgroup. If your
newsserver doesn't support it, connect to msnews.microsoft.com

Victor