multi track audio card accessing

vijay

hallo

I am programming in java for multi track sound card ( 4 - stereo track
-- 8 speakers). I need to output 8 mono wav audio file in eight
different speakers
for this work I have suceeded by playing two mono files in first 2
speakers ( first stereo track ) I am now searching to output other
6 mono files in other 3 different stereo tracks

how to get the port or details for the other 3 stereo tracks

I have attached 3 java files which i have used

<<<<MultiAudioStreamPlayer.java
<<<<BaseAudioStream.java
<<<<SimpleAudioStream.java

for running the below java samples there is no need to have a special
sound card but make sure to change the WAV file name in
SimpleAudioStream.java
program

I am eagerly waiting for your valuable ideas

Yours friendly
vijay

/*
* MultiAudioStreamPlayer.java
*
* This file is part of the Java Sound Examples.
*/

/*
* Copyright (c) 1999 by Matthias Pfisterer
<[email protected]>
*
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published
* by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License,
or
* (at your option) any later version.
*
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
*
* You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
* License along with this program; if not, write to the Free
Software
* Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
*
*/

import java.io.File;

import java.io.IOException;

import javax.sound.sampled.AudioFormat;
import javax.sound.sampled.AudioInputStream;
import javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem;
import javax.sound.sampled.DataLine;
import javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException;
import javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException;
import javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine;

// import AudioStream;

/* +DocBookXML
<title>Playing multiple audio files concurrently</title>

<para>This program plays multiple audio files
concurrently.
It opens each file given on the command line and starts it.
</formalpara>

<para>
<cmdsynopsis>
<command>java MultiAudioStreamPlayer</command>
<arg choice="plain"
rep="repeat"><replaceable>audiofile</replaceable></arg>
</cmdsynopsis>
</para></formalpara>

<variablelist>
<varlistentry>
<term><replaceable>audiofile</replaceable></term>
<listitem><para>the name(s) of the audio file(s) to
play</para></listitem>
</varlistentry>
</variablelist>
</formalpara>

<para>
<ulink url="MultiAudioStreamPlayer.java.html">MultiAudioStreamPlayer.java</ulink>,
<ulink url="SimpleAudioStream.java.html">SimpleAudioStream.java</ulink>,
<ulink url="BaseAudioStream.java.html">BaseAudioStream.java</ulink>
</para>
</formalpara>

-DocBookXML
*/
public class MultiAudioStreamPlayer
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{

File soundFile_L = new File("77.wav");
File soundFile_R = new File("88.wav");

SimpleAudioStream audioStream_L = null;
SimpleAudioStream audioStream_R = null;

try
{

audioStream_L = new SimpleAudioStream(soundFile_L);
audioStream_R = new SimpleAudioStream(soundFile_R);

audioStream_L.setPan(1.0f);

audioStream_R.setPan(0.0f);

audioStream_R.start();
audioStream_L.start();

}
catch (LineUnavailableException e)
{
/*
* In case of an exception, we dump the
* exception including the stack trace
* to the console output. Then, we exit
* the program.
*/
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}
catch (UnsupportedAudioFileException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}
catch (IllegalArgumentException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}
catch (IOException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}

/*

if (args.length < 1)
{
System.out.println("MultiAudioStreamPlayer: usage:");
System.out.println("\tjava MultiAudioStreamPlayer <soundfile1>
<soundfile2> ...");
System.exit(1);
}

for (int i = 0; i < args.length; i++)
{
String strFilename = args;
File soundFile = new File(strFilename);

SimpleAudioStream audioStream = null;
try
{
audioStream = new SimpleAudioStream(soundFile);
if(i==0)
audioStream.setPan(1.0f);
else
audioStream.setPan(0.0f);
}
catch (LineUnavailableException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}
catch (UnsupportedAudioFileException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}
catch (IllegalArgumentException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}
catch (IOException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
System.exit(1);
}
audioStream.start();
}

*/

/* closing the sound file after playing */

/*** MultiAudioStreamPlayer.java ***/

//_________________________________________________________________________________________________

/*
* BaseAudioStream.java
*
* This file is part of the Java Sound Examples.
*/

/*
* Copyright (c) 1999, 2000 by Matthias Pfisterer
<[email protected]>
*
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify
* it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License as
published
* by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License,
or
* (at your option) any later version.
*
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
* GNU Library General Public License for more details.
*
* You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public
* License along with this program; if not, write to the Free
Software
* Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
*
*/

import java.beans.PropertyChangeListener;
import java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport;

import java.io.File;
import java.io.IOException;

import java.net.URL;

import javax.sound.sampled.AudioFormat;
import javax.sound.sampled.AudioInputStream;
import javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem;
import javax.sound.sampled.DataLine;
import javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException;
import javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine;
import javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException;
import javax.sound.sampled.FloatControl;

public class BaseAudioStream
implements Runnable
{
/** Flag for debugging messages.
* If true, some messages are dumped to the console
* during operation.
*/
private static boolean DEBUG = true;

/**
* means that the stream has reached EOF or was not started.
* This value is returned in property change callbacks that
* report the current media position.
*/
public static final long MEDIA_POSITION_EOF = -1L;
public static final String MEDIA_POSITION_PROPERTY =
"BaseAudioStream_media_position";

// TODO: better size
private static final int EXTERNAL_BUFFER_SIZE = 4000 * 4;

private Thread m_thread = null;
private Object m_dataSource;
private AudioInputStream m_audioInputStream;
private SourceDataLine m_line;
private FloatControl m_gainControl;
private FloatControl m_panControl;

/**
* This variable is used to distinguish stopped state from
* paused state. In case of paused state, m_bRunning is still
* true. In case of stopped state, it is set to false. Doing so
* will terminate the thread.
*/
private boolean m_bRunning;

protected BaseAudioStream()
{
m_dataSource = null;
m_audioInputStream = null;
m_line = null;
m_gainControl = null;
m_panControl = null;
}

protected void setDataSource(File file)
throws UnsupportedAudioFileException, LineUnavailableException,
IOException
{
m_dataSource = file;
initAudioInputStream();
}

protected void setDataSource(URL url)
throws UnsupportedAudioFileException, LineUnavailableException,
IOException
{
m_dataSource = url;
initAudioInputStream();
}

private void initAudioInputStream()
throws UnsupportedAudioFileException, LineUnavailableException,
IOException
{
if (m_dataSource instanceof URL)
{
initAudioInputStream((URL) m_dataSource);
}
else if (m_dataSource instanceof File)
{
initAudioInputStream((File) m_dataSource);

private void initAudioInputStream(File file)
throws UnsupportedAudioFileException, IOException
{
/*
try
{
*/
m_audioInputStream = AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(file);
/*
}
catch (IOException e)
{
throw new IllegalArgumentException("cannot create AudioInputStream
for " + file);
}
if (m_audioInputStream == null)
{
throw new IllegalArgumentException("cannot create AudioInputStream
for " + file);
}
*/
}

private void initAudioInputStream(URL url)
throws UnsupportedAudioFileException, IOException
{
/*
try
{
*/
m_audioInputStream = AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(url);
/*
}
catch (IOException e)
{
throw new IllegalArgumentException("cannot create AudioInputStream
for " + url);
}
if (m_audioInputStream == null)
{
throw new IllegalArgumentException("cannot create AudioInputStream
for " + url);
}
*/
}

// from AudioPlayer.java
/*
* Compressed audio data cannot be fed directely to
* Java Sound. It has to be converted explicitely.
* To do this, we create a new AudioFormat that
* says to which format we want to convert to. Then,
* we try to get a converted AudioInputStream.
* Furthermore, we use the new format and the converted
* stream.
*
* Note that the technique shown here is partly non-
* portable. It is used here to keep the example
* simple. A more advanced, more portable technique
* will (hopefully) show up in BaseAudioStream.java soon.
*
* Thanks to Christoph Hecker for finding out that this
* was missing.
*/
/*
if ((audioFormat.getEncoding() == AudioFormat.Encoding.ULAW) ||
(audioFormat.getEncoding() == AudioFormat.Encoding.ALAW))
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("AudioPlayer.main(): converting");
}
AudioFormat newFormat = new AudioFormat(
AudioFormat.Encoding.PCM_SIGNED,
audioFormat.getSampleRate(),
audioFormat.getSampleSizeInBits() * 2,
audioFormat.getChannels(),
audioFormat.getFrameSize() * 2,
audioFormat.getFrameRate(),
true);
AudioInputStream newStream =
AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(newFormat, audioInputStream);
audioFormat = newFormat;
audioInputStream = newStream;
}
*/

protected void initLine()
throws LineUnavailableException
{
if (m_line == null)
{
createLine();
openLine();
}
else
{
AudioFormat lineAudioFormat = m_line.getFormat();
AudioFormat audioInputStreamFormat = m_audioInputStream == null ?
null : m_audioInputStream.getFormat();
if (!lineAudioFormat.equals(audioInputStreamFormat))
{
m_line.close();
openLine();

private void createLine()
throws LineUnavailableException
{
if (m_line != null)
{
return;
}
/*
* From the AudioInputStream, i.e. from the sound file, we
* fetch information about the format of the audio data. These
* information include the sampling frequency, the number of
* channels and the size of the samples. There information
* are needed to ask Java Sound for a suitable output line
* for this audio file.
*/
AudioFormat audioFormat = m_audioInputStream.getFormat();
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("BaseAudioStream.initLine(): audio format: " +
audioFormat);
}

/*
* Asking for a line is a rather tricky thing.
* ...
* Furthermore, we have to give Java Sound a hint about how
* big the internal buffer for the line should be. Here,
* we say AudioSystem.NOT_SPECIFIED, signaling that we don't
* care about the exact size. Java Sound will use some default
* value for the buffer size.
*/
DataLine.Info info = new DataLine.Info(SourceDataLine.class,
audioFormat, AudioSystem.NOT_SPECIFIED);
m_line = (SourceDataLine) AudioSystem.getLine(info);

if (m_line.isControlSupported(FloatControl.Type.MASTER_GAIN/*VOLUME*/))
{
m_gainControl = (FloatControl)
m_line.getControl(FloatControl.Type.MASTER_GAIN);
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("max gain: " + m_gainControl.getMaximum());
System.out.println("min gain: " + m_gainControl.getMinimum());
System.out.println("gain precision: " +
m_gainControl.getPrecision());
else
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("FloatControl.Type.MASTER_GAIN is not
supported");
if (m_line.isControlSupported(FloatControl.Type.PAN/*BALANCE*/))
{
m_panControl = (FloatControl)
m_line.getControl(FloatControl.Type.PAN);
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("max balance: " + m_panControl.getMaximum());
System.out.println("min balance: " + m_panControl.getMinimum());
System.out.println("balance precision: " +
m_panControl.getPrecision());
else
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("FloatControl.Type.PAN is not supported");

private void openLine()
throws LineUnavailableException
{
if (m_line == null)
{
return;
}
AudioFormat audioFormat = m_audioInputStream.getFormat();
m_line.open(audioFormat, m_line.getBufferSize());
}

// TODO: if class can be instatiated without file or url,
m_audioInputStream may
// be null
protected AudioFormat getFormat()
{
return m_audioInputStream.getFormat();
}

public void start()
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("start() called");
}
if (!(m_thread == null || !m_thread.isAlive()))
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("WARNING: old thread still running!!");
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("creating new thread");
}
m_thread = new Thread(this);
m_thread.start();
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("additional thread started");
}
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("starting line");
}
m_line.start();
}

protected void stop()
{
if (m_bRunning)
{
if (m_line != null)
{
m_line.stop();
m_line.flush();
}
m_bRunning = false;
/*
* We re-initialize the AudioInputStream. Since doing
* a stop on the stream implies that there has been
* a successful creation of an AudioInputStream before,
* we can almost safely ignore this exception.
* The LineUnavailableException can be ignored because
* in case of reinitializing the same AudioInputStream,
* no new line is created or opened.
*/
try
{
initAudioInputStream();
}
catch (UnsupportedAudioFileException e)
catch (LineUnavailableException e)
catch (IOException e)

public void pause()
{
m_line.stop();
}

public void resume()
{
m_line.start();
}

public void run()
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("thread start");
}
int nBytesRead = 0;
m_bRunning = true;
byte[] abData = new byte[EXTERNAL_BUFFER_SIZE];
// int nFrameSize = m_line.getFormat().getFrameSize();
while (nBytesRead != -1 && m_bRunning)
{
try
{
nBytesRead = m_audioInputStream.read(abData, 0, abData.length);
}
catch (IOException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
}
if (nBytesRead >= 0)
{
//int nFramesToWrite = nBytesRead / nFrameSize;
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("Trying to write: " + nBytesRead);
}
int nBytesWritten = m_line.write(abData, 0, nBytesRead);
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("Written: " + nBytesWritten);

/*
* Wait until all data are played.
* This is only necessary because of the bug noted below.
* (If we do not wait, we would interrupt the playback by
* prematurely closing the line and exiting the VM.)
*/
// TODO: check how this interferes with stop()
m_line.drain();
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("after drain()");
}

/*
* Stop the line and reinitialize the AudioInputStream.
* This should be done before reporting end-of-media to be
* prepared if the EOM message triggers a new start().
*/
stop();

if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("after this.stop()");

public boolean hasGainControl()
{
return m_gainControl != null;
}

/*
public void setMute(boolean bMute)
{
if (hasGainControl())
{
m_gainControl.setMute(bMute);

public boolean getMute()
{
if (hasGainControl())
{
return m_gainControl.getMute();
}
else
{
return false;
*/

public void setGain(float fGain)
{
if (hasGainControl())
{
m_gainControl.setValue(fGain);

public float getGain()
{
if (hasGainControl())
{
return m_gainControl.getValue();
}
else
{
return 0.0F;

public float getMaximum()
{
if (hasGainControl())
{
return m_gainControl.getMaximum();
}
else
{
return 0.0F;

public float getMinimum()
{
if (hasGainControl())
{
return m_gainControl.getMinimum();
}
else
{
return 0.0F;

public boolean hasPanControl()
{
return m_panControl != null;
}

public float getPrecision()
{
if (hasPanControl())
{
return m_panControl.getPrecision();
}
else
{
return 0.0F;

public float getPan()
{
if (hasPanControl())
{
return m_panControl.getValue();
}
else
{
return 0.0F;

public void setPan(float fPan)
{
if (hasPanControl())
{
m_panControl.setValue(fPan);

/*** BaseAudioStream.java ***/

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/*
* SimpleAudioStream.java
*
[...]

public class SimpleAudioStream
extends BaseAudioStream
{
/** Flag for debugging messages.
* If true, some messages are dumped to the console
* during operation.
*/
private static boolean DEBUG = true;

// private static final int EXTERNAL_BUFFER_SIZE = 16384;

/**
* This variable is used to distinguish stopped state from
* paused state. In case of paused state, m_bRunning is still
* true. In case of stopped state, it is set to false. Doing so
* will terminate the thread.
*/
private boolean m_bRunning;

public SimpleAudioStream()
{
super();
// m_dataSource = null;
}

public SimpleAudioStream(File file)
throws UnsupportedAudioFileException, LineUnavailableException,
IOException
{
this();
setDataSource(file);
initLine();
}

public SimpleAudioStream(URL url)
throws UnsupportedAudioFileException, LineUnavailableException,
IOException
{
this();
setDataSource(url);
initLine();
}

public AudioFormat getFormat()
{
// TODO: have to check that AudioInputStream (or Line?) is
initialized
return super.getFormat();
}

/*
public void start()
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("start() called");
}
m_thread = new Thread(this);
m_thread.start();
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("additional thread started");
}
m_line.start();
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("started line");

public void stop()
{
m_line.stop();
m_line.flush();
m_bRunning = false;
}

public void pause()
{
m_line.stop();
}

public void resume()
{
m_line.start();
}
*/

/*
public void run()
{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("thread start");
}
int nBytesRead = 0;
m_bRunning = true;
byte[] abData = new byte[EXTERNAL_BUFFER_SIZE];
int nFrameSize = m_line.getFormat().getFrameSize();
while (nBytesRead != -1 && m_bRunning)
{
try
{
nBytesRead = m_audioInputStream.read(abData, 0, abData.length);
}
catch (IOException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
}
if (nBytesRead >= 0)
{
int nRemainingBytes = nBytesRead;
// while (nRemainingBytes > 0)
//{
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("Line status (active): " +
m_line.isActive());
System.out.println("Line status (running): " +
m_line.isRunning());
System.out.println("Trying to write (bytes): " + nBytesRead);
}
int nBytesWritten = m_line.write(abData, 0, nBytesRead);
if (DEBUG)
{
System.out.println("Written (bytes): " + nBytesWritten);
}
nRemainingBytes -= nBytesWritten;
//}
if (DEBUG)