multiple versions of python

sokovic.anamarija

Hi,

what is the generally recommended structure when we have into play this type of problem:
multiple versions of python (both in the sense of main versions and sub versions, e.g.,
2.7 :
2.7.1
2.7.3
3:
3.3
3.3.1
Different versions of gcc
different compilation strategies (-vanilla and non-vanilla)
different modules (numpy,scipy) together with the different versions of all the rest.

any help is appreciated

Ana

Roy Smith

Hi,

what is the generally recommended structure when we have into play this type
of problem:
multiple versions of python (both in the sense of main versions and sub
versions, e.g.,
2.7 :
2.7.1
2.7.3
3:
3.3
3.3.1
Different versions of gcc
different compilation strategies (-vanilla and non-vanilla)
different modules (numpy,scipy) together with the different versions of all
the rest.

any help is appreciated

Ana

Virtualenv is your friend.

Colin J. Williams

Hi,

what is the generally recommended structure when we have into play this type of problem:
multiple versions of python (both in the sense of main versions and sub versions, e.g.,
2.7 :
2.7.1
2.7.3
3:
3.3
3.3.1
Different versions of gcc
different compilation strategies (-vanilla and non-vanilla)
different modules (numpy,scipy) together with the different versions of all the rest.

any help is appreciated

Ana
Do you really need more than 2.7.3 and 3.3.1.

Typically, these go to C:\Python27 and C:\Python33 with windows.

Colin W.

Roy Smith

Colin J. Williams said:
Do you really need more than 2.7.3 and 3.3.1.

It's often useful to have older versions around, so you can test your
code against them. Lots of projects try to stay compatible with older
releases.

Mark Lawrence

Do you really need more than 2.7.3 and 3.3.1.

Typically, these go to C:\Python27 and C:\Python33 with windows.

Colin W.

In which case you'll normally be doing a binary installation. If you're
compiling it's more likely to be VC++ not gcc.

Fábio Santos

Virtualenv is your friend.

Have you looked at tox? It manages a folder full of virtualenvs for you,
including your dependencies, and allows you to run your tests against every
version.