Music

brucie

in post: <
percy said:
I have embedded a music file onto a friends website.
How do I get it to play continuosly?

really really bad idea. it will make people leave the site. just supply
a link to the file so people can listen to it if they want to.

rf

percy said:
I have embedded a music file onto a friends website.

Why would you do such a nasty thing to a "friend"?
How do I get it to play continuosly?

You don't. You provide a link to it so I can download it and play it *if I
wish to*.

percy

I have embedded a music file onto a friends website.
How do I get it to play continuosly?
Thanks in advance..

Karl Groves

percy said:
I have embedded a music file onto a friends website.
How do I get it to play continuosly?
Thanks in advance..

Your users would actually appreciate it more if you put a bullet in your
head.
What gives you the idea that people want to have music blaring on their
computer that THEY did not ask for?
Your business is with the visitor's browser, not with their speakers.
Playing music on your site is a great way to alienate people and keep them
from coming back.
Consider these scenerios:
1.. Visitor "A" is goofing off at work. Congratulations, you just got him
in trouble with his boss when he landed on your site and had a song
automatically play as soon as the page loaded.
2.. Visitor "B" is listening to his own CD. Congratulations, you just made
him angry because he now has two songs playing simultaneously, neither of
which sound good anymore because they're both running together.
3.. Visitor "C" simply doesn't share your taste in music. He decides to
click away because he doesn't want to be subjected to a song he doesn't
like.
In any of the above cases, NOBODY is going to take the time to reach over
and turn down their speakers or fumble with his task bar just to avoid your
music. They're just going to click away and go to a site whose webmaster
understands not to intrude upon them like that.

If you're a band or otherwise in the business of music and you'd like to
share samples of your work, by all means, do so. However, music should be
provided ONLY by giving the visitor a choice to listen to the song before
the actual music begins. Please note: Giving them a choice to turn the music
OFF is not the correct option.

-Karl

Arondelle

Karl said:
If you're a band or otherwise in the business of music and you'd like to
share samples of your work, by all means, do so. However, music should be
provided ONLY by giving the visitor a choice to listen to the song before
the actual music begins. Please note: Giving them a choice to turn the music
OFF is not the correct option.

Suppose the whole point of the page is the music, and the visitor knows
in advance that there's going to be music -- like a Hamster Dance page?
The Hamster Song is integral to the page; without the music it's just
another dopey animation.

Yeah, yeah, I know everybody here hates Hamster Dance because it's
stupid and is a debasement of the entire Internet, but it persists, and
no one clicks to such a page without know what's going to happen.

Bucknell University's Russian Dept.'s opening page contains a stirring
MIDI rendition of the Russian National Anthem. I don't always remember
that when I click to it, but I'm always surprised and pleased to hear
it. Most other music, though, feh....

Arondelle

Neal

Yeah, yeah, I know everybody here hates Hamster Dance because it's

I LOVE the Hamster dance. And miss it, haven't seen any of those in a long
time.
stupid and is a debasement of the entire Internet, but it persists, and
no one clicks to such a page without know what's going to happen.

Bucknell University's Russian Dept.'s opening page contains a stirring
MIDI rendition of the Russian National Anthem. I don't always remember
that when I click to it, but I'm always surprised and pleased to hear
it. Most other music, though, feh....

Still, ANY music should be by default off, and allow the user to control
it from the outset.

Arondelle

See, that's cute as hell.

A better implementation would have controls onscreen to stop music or
turn down, by the way.

There are, or should be, controls on the page, but they're down at the
bottom. Since it was just for goofing around (I was teaching myself how
to build gif animations and embed objects at the time), I'm not going to
stress out over it. I have only one other page with animated GIF's and
a WAV sound effect, and that's also in the "goofing around" department,
so it's not like the whole website is based around a multi-media
extravaganza.

If I were *really* serious about multi-media, I'd get Flash and do some
real animations. Otherwise, I couldn't be bothered.

Arondelle

Mark Parnell

1.. Visitor "A" is goofing off at work. Congratulations, you just got him
in trouble with his boss when he landed on your site and had a song
automatically play as soon as the page loaded.
2.. Visitor "B" is listening to his own CD. Congratulations, you just made
him angry because he now has two songs playing simultaneously, neither of
which sound good anymore because they're both running together.
3.. Visitor "C" simply doesn't share your taste in music. He decides to
click away because he doesn't want to be subjected to a song he doesn't
like.

4. Visitor "D" is on dialup. He does not have any speakers, or has them
turned off. He gets pissed off waiting for your site to load, due to
having to download this music file he won't be able to hear anyway. He
gives up and goes elsewhere.

brucie

in post: <
4. Visitor "D" is on dialup. He does not have any speakers, or has them
turned off. He gets pissed off waiting for your site to load, due to
having to download this music file he won't be able to hear anyway. He
gives up and goes elsewhere.

5. visitor "e" has all the goodies turned on but dialup is a crappy
10.8k! <sob/>