My big dilemma

Reaction score
Hi,

What is the best way to change properties of one or two controls at regular intervals without reloading the whole page in ASP.NET 2.0?

My inclination has been to create a small (invisible even) IFRAME whose page would be very simple, with a meta refresh set to, say, 3 seconds. That IFRAME would, upon loading, check the database and determine what changes were needed to the very complex page the IFRAME is residing on, and if changes are warranted, apply them. I must not reload the whole bigger page of course! I can't find anywhere the syntax to do this, I'm hoping its easy and I'm missing something obvious.

If that is the wrong approach, I'd like to hear ideas, although this model has served me very well pre-ASP.NET. If its the right approach, I can simplify the question as follows: how do you access an object on the page containing the iframe that your code is running in (or in another iframe on the that original page for that matter)?

For example, in the appropriate function in the partial class in the codefile, I'd love to be able to change the text of a label "lblText" on the original page by saying something like MainPage.lblText.Text = NewText

Thanks for any help.

Ask a Question