Need Help: AccessDataSource and Assigning Variables for Data (ASP 2.0)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Michael, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I am using Visual Studio 2005 (ASP 2.0) to build a webpage that uses a
    Microsoft Access Database. The data in the database
    simply holds the information on a link to a document that I am storing on
    the website. The information is written into the webpage
    dynamically. That way when I add documents, I only have to update the
    database and not mess with the page itself.

    I am using AccessDataSource to link to the database. I first linked the
    data to a GridView, but did not want the grid to be displayed.
    It seems that making the grid not visible makes your item count to always be
    0. So I used a DataList and I can still get an Item
    count if the form is not visible on the page.

    The problem is that I do not want to use any of the data controls to be
    visible on the rendered page. I simply want to get the data
    from the database and display that data how I want to on my page. To do
    this, I was going to assign a variable to each "cell"
    and plug it in where I wanted to.

    I would like to start with the first row of data and get each column out
    individually. I have tried the ListItems(x) to get the row (not sure if
    it is working) with the datalist but I do not know how to get the specific
    coulmn out of the row and assign a variable to it. This was
    easy for me with VB6 and .Net 1.0.

    This is a sample of the database.

    ID Description Link

    1 2002 Report www.mysite.com/reports/2002.pdf
    2 2003 Report www.mysite.com/reports/2003.pdf

    I want to extract the data and write only the information and how I want it
    displayed, not be limited to displaying Microsofts
    Web controls.

    If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.. Miccrosoft seems to
    dramatically change how they access databases with
    each release, so I get lost during the changes at times.

    Thank You,
    Michael

    Michael, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Michael

    Guest Guest

    Mike,
    Show us your .net 1.0 code that will help us understand your question.

    Guest, Jan 30, 2006