Need help with a table and CSS

SpreadTooThin

I found a nice piece of CSS for my tables in my application.
I'm just starting out on CSS and want to expand this class

I need a row at the top of my table with two columns.
The first is just text "The name of the report"... the last column on
the row is a bitmap image.
(I guess it should be twice as high as the table header that is
defined at the moment....
There may be more than two columns in the report...

This is the CSS (In VB script):

mCSS =_
"<style type=" +chr(34) + "text/css" + chr(34) + ">" +_
"#customers" +_
"{" +_
"font-family:" + chr(34) + "Trebuchet MS" + chr(34) + ",
Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;" +_
"width:100%;" +_
"border-collapse:collapse;" +_
"}" +_
_
"#customers td, #customers th" +_
"{" +_
"font-size:1em;" +_
"border:1px solid #98bf21;" +_
"padding:3px 7px 2px 7px;" +_
"}" +_
_
"#customers th" +_
"{" +_
"font-size:1.1em;" +_
"text-align:left;" +_
"padding-top:5px;" +_
"padding-bottom:4px;" +_
"background-color:#A7C942;" +_
"color:#ffffff;" +_
"}" +_
_
"#customers tr.alt td" +_
"{" +_
"color:#000000;" +_
"background-color:#EAF2D3;" +_
"}" +_
"</style>"

Peter Flynn

SpreadTooThin said:
I found a nice piece of CSS for my tables in my application.
I'm just starting out on CSS and want to expand this class

What has this to do with XML?

///Peter

Joe Kesselman

CSS is really an HTML tool. The only time it's related to XML is when
HTML with embedded CSS is being generated from XML.

If there's a comp.text.html group, I'd suggest asking there.

--
Joe Kesselman,

Andy Dingley

I found a nice piece of CSS for my tables in my application.
I'm just starting out on CSS and want to expand this class

You want
news://comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets (for CSS)

or
news://comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html (for HTML markup)

I need a row at the top of my table with two columns.
There may be more than two columns in the report...

You can't do this in CSS alone, you need to set it in the HTML. Look
into the HTML colspan attribute

(I guess it should be twice as high as the table header that is
defined at the moment....

You probably don't have to define this with CSS, just let the table
cells expand to contain what they need to.

This is the CSS (In VB script):

Don't do that. You don't need to generate CSS dynamically. If you
think you do, you're almost certainly wrong. If you have to do this
(which is pretty darned rare), you're usually better generating the
dynamic CSS as minimal fragments in HTML style attributes.

Nor should anyone have to use VBScript. J(ava)Script if you're really
stuck.

SpreadTooThin

You want
news://comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets  (for CSS)

or
news://comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html   (for HTML markup)

You can't do this in CSS alone, you need to set it in the HTML. Look
into the HTML colspan attribute

You probably don't have to define this with CSS, just let the table
cells expand to contain what they need to.

Don't do that.  You don't need to generate CSS dynamically.  If you
think you do, you're almost certainly wrong.  If you have to do this
(which is pretty darned rare), you're usually better generating the
dynamic CSS as minimal fragments in HTML style attributes.

Nor should anyone have to use VBScript.  J(ava)Script if you're really
stuck.

The html table and css are sent to be sent as an email message.
I think I'll try the css authoring sites you mentioned.
Many thanks all