Need "=" to look like a strint

Bob Hatch

I have the following variable. Ruby looks at the = sign as a regex
literal and I need it to be recognized as text.

search_text =! %r{
=
}x

Hassan Schroeder

I have the following variable. Ruby looks at the =3D sign as a regex
literal and I need it to be recognized as text.

search_text =3D! %r{
=A0=3D
}x

ruby-1.8.7-p302 > pattern =3D %r{=3D}
=3D>
ruby-1.8.7-p302 > pattern.inspect
=3D> "/=3D/"
ruby-1.8.7-p302 > "abc=3Dxyz" =3D~ pattern
=3D> 3

Maybe I'm not understanding your issue?

--=20
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ (e-mail address removed)
twitter: @hassan

Jeremy Bopp

I have the following variable. Ruby looks at the = sign as a regex
literal and I need it to be recognized as text.

search_text =! %r{
=
}x

You have a typo in your code sample here, and the message you see as a
result is:

warning: regex literal in condition

That is because of the =! you have. Ruby breaks that down into an
assigment (the = part) and a boolean negation (the ! part) of the
following regexp. You need to change the =! to just = as follows:

search_text = %r{
=
}

-Jeremy

Eric Christopherson

You have a typo in your code sample here, and the message you see as a
result is:

warning: regex literal in condition

That is because of the =3D! you have. =A0Ruby breaks that down into an
assigment (the =3D part) and a boolean negation (the ! part) of the
following regexp. =A0You need to change the =3D! to just =3D as follows:

search_text =3D %r{
=A0=3D
}

I think he meant to use =3D~ instead.

Jeremy Bopp

I think he meant to use =~ instead.

That's a possibility, but take a look at the conversations in recent
threads opened by Bob. You'll find that he's using this search_text
variable to hold a regexp in an ongoing series of problems he's running
into while writing a script to basically perform an fgrep operation on a
file. I actually suggested he try out this particular method for
specifying his regexp and assigning it to search_text, so I assumed he
ran into this problem while implementing that. :)

-Jeremy