needing step-by-step guide to Exchange 5.5 removal

a1nemra

i just would like to know where i can find the documentation of properly
removing exhcange 5.5 server (STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE) from the network. i've
already performed the following from the old 5.5 server:
1. all mailboxes and public folders on the exchange 5.5 have been moved
already
2. the exchange 5.5 server is no longer the offline address book server
3. exchange 5.5 is no longer the routing calculation server
4. no connectors exist on the exchange 5.5 server

i've already tried to disable the services of exchange 5.5 server for a
couple of days and it didnt impact our email transactions. but after a few
days, an error occured, needing the 5.5 server to be rejoined to our domain.
during that period our email system was down, and it was apparent that there
are still dependencies on that server.

if there would be anyone there to help, please do and it will be highly
appreciated.

thanks very much!