Netbeans query

Nicole.Winfrey

Is there a way to mount a directory on Netbeans 5.5?
I used to be able to mount a mapped directory and view the programs
under the mounted directory in the old versions of Netbeans.
I can't seem to create a mount to a directory now.
Can you please help?

Nigel Wade

Is there a way to mount a directory on Netbeans 5.5?
I used to be able to mount a mapped directory and view the programs
under the mounted directory in the old versions of Netbeans.
I can't seem to create a mount to a directory now.
Can you please help?

The same functionality is now handled by "Favourites". If you don't have the
Favourites window open select Favourites from the Window menu. Right-click in
the Favourites panel to open a file selection box where you select a directory
to add to your list of "favourites". You can then navigate the filesystem below
that point and open files which are there.

Lew

Nigel said:
The same functionality is now handled by "Favourites". If you don't have the
Favourites window open select Favourites from the Window menu. Right-click in
the Favourites panel to open a file selection box where you select a directory
to add to your list of "favourites". You can then navigate the filesystem below
that point and open files which are there.

A more normal approach is "create a project using existing sources".

Nigel Wade

Lew said:
A more normal approach is "create a project using existing sources".

That's only if you want to create a project. If you want to browse the
filesystem to open a file of any type, anywhere on the fileystem, you use
Favourites.

Lew

Nigel said:
That's only if you want to create a project. If you want to browse the
filesystem to open a file of any type, anywhere on the fileystem, you use
Favourites.

Huh. I've never used "Favorites" (as it's called on my installation of
NetBeans 6) for that purpose. I've just used the "File" menu "Open File ..."
command. You learn something new every day.

FWIW, it took me a while to find "Select from Favorites" after I read your
post. In certain views that option is disabled. (I had to highlight a
project before the option enabled itself.) "File Open ..." just sort of leaps
out at me and doesn't have unguessable rules for when it's enabled.

Lew

Huh. I've never used "Favorites" (as it's called on my installation of
NetBeans 6) for that purpose. I've just used the "File" menu "Open File
..." command. You learn something new every day.

FWIW, it took me a while to find "Select from Favorites" after I read
your post. In certain views that option is disabled. (I had to
highlight a project before the option enabled itself.) "File Open ..."
just sort of leaps out at me and doesn't have unguessable rules for when
it's enabled.

The "Favorites" window invoker itself is easier to find, in the "Windows" menu
pad. I don't know what the "Select from Favorites" command is all about, nor
why the "Favorites" window is called that and not "Filesystem" or something
obvious like that.

Plus "Favorites" opens up this whole window. I suppose that's useful if you
want to stay inside the IDE instead of flipping to a file browser, but my own
personal taste runs to the "File / Open File" approach. I use the IDE for
development projects, and not as a general-purpose file system browser. If
I'm opening a file from the IDE, it's because it's source.

Truth to tell, to open individual files outside a project, I use emacs almost
always. NetBeans just doesn't feel like a single-file editor to me.

Nigel Wade

Lew said:
The "Favorites" window invoker itself is easier to find, in the "Windows" menu
pad. I don't know what the "Select from Favorites" command is all about, nor
why the "Favorites" window is called that and not "Filesystem" or something
obvious like that.

Presumably all part of the inexorable drift towards the lowest common
denominator, Windows. Quite why Microsoft chose to use Favorites in IE to mean
bookmarks I don't know, probably because bookmarks imply books and reading, an
intellectual level they thought above the majority of its users.
Plus "Favorites" opens up this whole window. I suppose that's useful if you
want to stay inside the IDE instead of flipping to a file browser, but my own
personal taste runs to the "File / Open File" approach. I use the IDE for
development projects, and not as a general-purpose file system browser. If
I'm opening a file from the IDE, it's because it's source.

Neither do I. I was simply answering the OPs question as to the equivalent
operation of "mount a filesystem" in the current Netbeans. Actually, being able
to browse a directory within the IDE does prove convenient at times. The Java
filesystem browser, which you get when you choose Open File, does annoy me.
Truth to tell, to open individual files outside a project, I use emacs almost
always. NetBeans just doesn't feel like a single-file editor to me.

I agree. There are so many better file editors around. Personally I use nedit,
or gedit or kate or vi or... just about anything but Eclipse or Netbeans.