New to coding - Looking to make a smart journal

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking to learn some coding. I have an idea to build a program on my computer that acts as a smart journal. Like when I turn on the computer it ask me how my day is going. Ask me what's on the schedule for the day. And checks in with any big goals I have set. It'll then save this info to be looked up later.

The thing is I don't know where to start! I learned a little bit of python a couple of years ago but all that knowledge isn't really fresh in the mind. So I'm open to learn a new system if it'll work better for what I wanna do. Let me know any resources i should check out. Free or paid. And if there's a pinned thread that's I'm obviously missing let me know.

Reaction score
Python is a good starting block, I'd pick that up again. It's easy to learn, and re-learn, and all of the readily-available modules make it very powerful. And speed of development will be infinitely more important than speed of run-time, so I wouldn't consider C/C++ or the like. Maybe Java, if you really fancy learning that, but it might slow you down considerably. As you'll be wanting a UI to go with it, I'd recommend PyQt. You'll likely be storing that data in a SQLite database, so you'll have to experience a bit of SQL, as well.

GUIs tend to be the hard part so you'll want to give them a good design period because they're also more difficult to change. So, I'd build most of it for the command line first (print request/etc to console, read user input for the field, rinse/repeat for the next smart question). Then, once you have the backend running smoothly, roll PyQt into it.

You likely won't need any paid resources unless you need hands-on, 1-on-1 programming type classes. If and when you have more specific questions, we'll be right here.

Ask a Question