New to Subclipse Behind Restrictive Firewall & RA layer request failed

DRS.Usenet

I was directed to a project on code.google.com... my first time
visiting. It says:

Use this command to anonymously check out the latest project source
code:
svn checkout http://termterminator.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
termterminator

Although an Eclipse user for years, subversion is new to me, but I
figured, no problem, I'll download the plugins then paste the URL into
the "Add
Respository Destination" dialog and be done. But when I do that, I get
the fabled "RA layer request failed...could not connect to server".

I figured it was a proxy issue, but if try the same URL, but with
https, I get an "Accept Certificate" dialog and then it prompts me for
a password. I saw hints to leave the userid and password blank, but
the dialog requires at least one of them. I'm behind a proxy that
sometimes asks for a password. I tried that with no joy.

I've got Eclipse's proxy set, and am able to use the software updates.

Is there something else to install (all I installed was Subclipse, as
indicated here:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecl-subversion/
but get stuck at the place where we create a new repository location
to test the install.

Based on the post below, I think the problem is that my firewall
is not allowing WebDAV. Is there any way to prove that? (I'll need
the proof to get the firewall guy off his (!).
Date: Thurs, Sep 21 2006 4:27 am
Email: "Jochen Hiller" <[email protected]>
I am working at a client PC, where Firewall prohibits usage of WebDAV
to connect to SVN service.
-- svn console ---
RA layer request failed
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': could not connect to server
(https://junitext.googlecode.com)
-- svn console ---

The author goes on to explain how he's trying to use tunneling to
the server using Putty / SSH. I haven't researched that. But if
anyone has two cents, or a pointer, TIA.

Thanks!!

--Dale--

PS: Here are some post extracts I used to develop my
proxy/WebDAV theory:
From: <e.huelsm....>
Date: 2003-09-07 17:06:29 CEST
Normally it should not matter if subversion is run behind a proxy or not.
The proxy should be configured to proxy WebDAV commands though (REPORT,
PROPFIND, and friends). If the proxy does not do that (or incorrectly caches
data) subversion cannot be used over http. You could use https or svn:// or
(if authorisation is required) ssh+svn:// schemas to access the repository.
...I'm having trouble connecting ... My work has a Proxy
for web connections, which I have configured under the Install/Update
portion of the preferences per the Subclipse instructions. When I try
and add a new SVN Repository...
Error validating location:
"org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException: RA layer request failed
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/asf/myfaces/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/repos/asf/myfaces/trunk': could not connect to
server (http://svn.apache.org)"

DRS.Usenet

I was directed to a project on code.google.com... my first time
visiting. It says:

Use this command to anonymously check out the latest project source
code:
svn checkout http://termterminator.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
termterminator

Although an Eclipse user for years, subversion is new to me, but I
figured, no problem, I'll download the plugins then paste the URL into
the "Add
Respository Destination" dialog and be done. But when I do that, I get
the fabled "RA layer request failed...could not connect to server".
snip
Based on the post below, I think the problem is that my firewall
is not allowing WebDAV. Is there any way to prove that? (I'll need
the proof to get the firewall guy off his (!).

The author goes on to explain how he's trying to use tunneling to
the server using Putty / SSH. I haven't researched that. But if
anyone has two cents, or a pointer, TIA.

Okay, I connected the machine to another network (no proxy required
here) and I'm getting the project from Google code right now.

Bottom line: If your firewall blocks WebDAV, then you get the RA layer
request failed message.

--Dale--