New XML-User: DTD-Aware freeware XML-Editor/typical command-line-toolchain wanted

dunklervater

Hello group,

I work at a shop that mostly uses FM+XML when using XML.
Yet I am very interested in how "the rest of the world" is using XML.
That´s why I am on the lookout for:

1. a freeware XML-Editor, that is DTD-/Schema-aware and can do Unicode
(goal: should only show me elements which are valid as the next
element)

2. the elements of a typical XML-toolchain
* freeware XSLT-processor
* stylesheet engine (either with FOP or what I would like much better:
CSS)
* whatever else you would deem appropriate or necessary.

BTW:
* Is there any decent freeware (or cheap) DTD/Schema editor
* Whats the difference between an XSL-Processor and ANT?
* Are there any standard web ressources one should know?

Thank you in advance for any input on this.

Cheers,
F.

Peter Flynn

Hello group,

I work at a shop that mostly uses FM+XML when using XML.
Yet I am very interested in how "the rest of the world" is using XML.
That´s why I am on the lookout for:

1. a freeware XML-Editor, that is DTD-/Schema-aware and can do Unicode
(goal: should only show me elements which are valid as the next
element)

All XML editors (except the very simplest) do this.

The problem with XML editors is not their XML conformance (usually)
but the usability of their interfaces.

///Peter

Joe Kesselman

* Whats the difference between an XSL-Processor and ANT?

Uhm... Have you tried plugging "XSL" or "ANT" into a web search engine?
That will rapidly take you to the W3C and Apache websites (respectively)
which describe these tools.

(There are actually two layers to XSL processing -- XSLT transformations
and XSL-FO formatting/rendering -- but when folks just say XSL they most
often mean the former.)