newbie needs help with datagrid

Mike

I'm converting a existing .asp application to ASP.NET using Vb.NET. In my
current asp application I have javascript
grid and its populated from the ASP code using <%=dataitem%> and that
populates the rows in the grid.

How can i use the same grid and populate it with ASP.NET? Can <%= dataitem%>
be used in .NET or is the syntax different now?

NOTE: I want to keep the my current grid because of all the funcionality it
currently has, and after doing some research the Datagrid can't do what my
javascript grid currently does
thanks

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Based on my understanding, you want to migrate your legacy Asp application
to Asp.net, you meet the problem of datagrid.

In Asp, I think your the javascript grid is just html <table> element, yes?
Actually, for Asp.net, the DataGrid control is completed different from the
"javascript grid", it encapsulates the datagrid in a high level, it gives
your a completely new programming model.

Using Asp.net DataGrid, you almost need not manipulate with the html code,
you need just follow the programming model of Server side datagrid, which
is strong typed, and with C#(or other .Net languages).

So if you want to leverage the function of .Net DataGrid, you have to
change all your legacy code.

For more general information about migrating from Asp to Asp.net, please
refer to:
http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/ASP.NET/Migrating-from-ASP-to-ASP.NET/10/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
ml/convertasptoaspnet.asp
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/upgrade/asp.aspx

Also, http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/ has "ASP to ASP.NET
Migration" section, and other sections are also good reference, For your
information.

of assistance.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Does my reply make sense to you? Do you still have concern on this issue?

Please feel free to feedback. Thanks