newbie needs to globally edit his site

leegold

my web page are on my remote host in a folder called "www".
There is also a cgi-bin folder and a .admin folder - these are
the defaults on the host I use.

I have 25 web pages w/much text and content. I realize now that
all the pages need the same correction/edit, a name that was not
capitalized has to changed to a cap.

The regex ect...is not hard. And I'm sure I can figure out
how to step though each file search for the word then
apply a correction. But I really don't know the basics of
running a PERL script on a host. Could someone link
me to some real basic intro sites that might apply?

Thanks

ed

Could someone link
me to some real basic intro sites that might apply?
http://perl.com/cs/user/query/q/6?id_topic=35
The "Beginner's Guide to CGI Scripting with Perl" is the one you're
looking for on that page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=perl+cgi+tutorial
Can't speak to the quality of any of the content you'll find from that
search. But I'm sure there's some good ones.

Also go clicking around perldoc.com and perl.com and you're likely to
find a lot more.

There's no shortage of perl tutorials, that's for sure.

--ed

Tad McClellan

leegold said:
But I really don't know the basics of
running a PERL script on a host.

You know how to run, but you don't know how to walk?

That's backwards. You should learn the command line _first_
and CGI second...

The name of the language is Perl, not PERL.

Could someone link
me to some real basic intro sites that might apply?

No, because it depends on what kind of access your particular
host makes available.

Ask them how you can get access to a command line on their machine.

Islaw

Tad said:
You know how to run, but you don't know how to walk?

That's backwards. You should learn the command line _first_
and CGI second...

Well, it _is_ possible to practice via a web browser (especially wen using a
local webserver.) Though it's always good to know atleast the basics of the
cmdline part. (Like for compiling/debugging.)
The name of the language is Perl, not PERL.

True, absolutely. But...
Not to try to start a fight, by why is this always so nicked picked to
death? Never saw a problem with people saying java/JAVA/Java, nor c++, C++
or CPP/cpp/Cpp. Yes, Perl is the proper name. No arguement 'bout that. I
guess all I'm saying is that it wont really hurt anyone for miscasing it
(unless, of course, you type PERL in attempt to invoke Perl itself. ;p )
No, because it depends on what kind of access your particular
host makes available.

Ask them how you can get access to a command line on their machine.

Sadly, it's possible he just may not have any shell access. I used to have a
server with Verio adn they don't have any telnet or ssh. Just ftp. (wrote my
own web interface in Perl for issuing shell commands ;p )

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Bart said:
What can I say... This really isn't something you should be doing
through a CGI script. (The permissions won't let your script modify
the other files.)

Two objections to that:

1) Islaw pointed out that it's possible that OP doesn't have shell
access. Assuming that he is on a shared server, I'd say that that's
_likely_ the case.

2) If it is a typical, modern hosting account, it's _likely_ that the
script does have permissions to edit files, since CGI scripts often
run as the same user as the account holder (via suEXEC, cgiwrap or
something like that). Or it can be a Windows box...

I questioned the sense in editing the files on the remote server, but
for another reason. :)