Newbie Q - index.html in directories?

Lorne Cameron

I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set up
the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I want this
functionality?

Thanks.

Wipkip

Lorne said:
I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set
up the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I
want this functionality?

Thanks.
Try http://www.URL.com/directory_name/ note /
You will need an index. file in the directory.

TechnoHippie

I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set up
the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I want this
functionality?

It sounds like the first host has your index.html set up as the default
404 page [or some server configuration].

To make the second site show the same behavior, you'll need to either
place an index.html file in each directory or create a 404 error page to
match your site index page.

HTH,
Judy

William Tasso

TechnoHippie said:
I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically
from that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory
listing denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a
way to set up the second site to behave like the first, or am I
screwed if I want this functionality?

It sounds like the first host has your index.html set up as the
default 404 page [or some server configuration].

To make the second site show the same behavior, you'll need to either
place an index.html file in each directory or create a 404 error page
to match your site index page.

or configure the server so that the default document is one that actually
exists.

Richard

Lorne Cameron said:
I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set up
the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I want this
functionality?

Thanks.

If you have cpanel, you can set it up in there.
Or you can put in an index file and have on it "ACCESS DENIED".
www.richardbullis.com/images/
You don't see a directory listing do you?

picayunish

When said:
If you have cpanel, you can set it up in there.
Or you can put in an index file and have on it "ACCESS DENIED".
www.richardbullis.com/images/
You don't see a directory listing do you?

Nice pic.
--
Edwin van der Vaart (Geen familie van....)
http://www.semi-conductors.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites