newbie Qs about platform-specific perl modules

eric.hall

I have a Xeon box running SUSE 9.3 x86_64. This system runs VMware GSX,
and some of the utilities make use of some VMware-specific perl
modules. However for reasons unknown to me, the modules won't compile
on x86_64.

As a hack, I compiled the modules and tools on a P4 system and then
copied over the i586-* hierarchies, and also copied the i586
/usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl32 on the Xeon. The utilities seem to run
fine as long as I call perl32.

That's a pretty ugly hack and I'd like to find a more elegant solution
to this but I am too much of a newbie to understand all the issues
here. Granted the best solution would be to fix the VMware stuff so
that it compiles on x86, but that's beyond my reach atm.

In the short term I am looking to see if I can get the modules to
compile in a form that is usable with the existing x86 install. I see
that the Xeon's perl installation is looking for i386-* in its default
path. Does this mean that if I can get the modules to compile for i386
that I can just bring them over and run them directly, without having
to call a specific executable?