    help me learn... thanks in advance. If anyone might have some code they
    have done to look over that would be wonderful!!

    Peg

    peg, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Hi Peg,

    Welcome to the world of ASP.Net. I know it has "ASP" in the name, but aside
    from that, and the HTTP/IIS environment it runs in, it has very little in
    common with ASP.

    An ASP.Net Page class is a WebForm. A WebForm ALWAYS posts back to itself.
    Navigation is done via other methods. The reason? ASP.Net WebForms are
    event-driven, with client-side events handled on the server side. Every time
    an event on the client occurs that has a server-side event handler, the page
    posts back to itself. This causes the Page class to be re-created on the
    server, events to be wired up and handled on the server, and the revised
    interface (page) being returned to the client.

    So, when you want to navigate to another page, you do it via:

    1. Hyperlinks in a page.
    2. JavaScript in a page.
    3. Meta tags in a page.
    4. Server.Transfer (transfers control on the server side, without changing
    the URL on the client)
    5. Response.Redirect (directs the client to navigate to a different page)

    ASP.Net is also Object-Oriented, so the whole programming paradigm is
    different than ASP. I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of you in the near
    future!

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 8, 2005

  3. peg

    peg Guest

    Kevin -

    Thanks for you reply....

    Can I ask how you would handle taking an Access Application to the web (the
    backend will now be using SQL2000), I guess I'm having a hard time starting
    this project cause I don't know how to dive into it. Do I create the pages
    that will be needed for user input, then code the logic into it, or build
    the business rules first, then build the GUI? The Access application used a
    lot of popup windows to gather different data based on users criteria - for
    example if the user chooses to pick 3-tiered plans (its a health insurance
    application) then there is a popup asking if they want two 3-tier plans, or
    one 3-tier and 2 regular plans, etc.... Would asp.net be able to have
    popups like that and post the data back to the page it was initated by? I
    just feel so overwhelmed with where to start!

    peg, Apr 8, 2005
  4. Hi Peg,

    I don't blame you for feeling overwhelmed. .Net is an order of magnitude
    larger and more complex than ASP.

    ASP.Net can do anything that ASP can do, as well as anything else you can
    imagine.

    But as to how to get started... well, I wouldn't just jump in and start
    coding! You might check out the Microsoft web site http://www.asp.net for
    some help. And the freely-downloadable .Net SDK is an invaluable resource:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer